New to rebreathers - what do you recommend based on this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you doing this solo, or do you have a buddy or buddies that are already CCR or going to do it too?

There is no one "best" unit and many may suit your needs, each with advantages and disadvantages. Assuming you have buddies diving one of the units that meets your needs, it is a big advantage diving the same unit as at least some of your crowd. Is it the biggest thing? No. But, there is a ton of informal learning and information sharing that goes on, well after your classes are done. It's good for spares, trying different configurations, diagnosing issues, tips, etc.

A CCR is not like a set of regs, where it really doesn't matter whether you and your group dive the same brand. I happen to dive a Meg and I have benefited, hugely, from being around a dozen other folks that dive them.

I wouldn't get a rEvo because, well, it's a rEvo. I'd look at a used Pathfinder maybe? A small cave Meg would be alright too. An SF2 is actually pretty light, but it doesn't break down very small without some modification so you'd be checking it. A JJ would work and sometimes it can fit in a carry-on if you pack it right. The SF2 and JJ both use Shearwater controllers so they're damn near bomb-proof. The old 2.7 Megs are also great controllers. A used Optima is gonna be cheap, but I've never really been an Optima fan. Really for no solid reason other than I don't like how they're rigged and how they trim out. One would make a fine cheap first rebreather, quite a few people move on though. I'm not mentioning X-CCR's/Defenders or Liberties because there's not really enough of them to be solidly cheap on the second hand market yet. Also I don't like Hammerhead electronics so stick with Shearwater if at all possible.

Check out a KISS Classic or a Pelagian if you want to go mCCR. Pelagian travels a little better than the KISS because of the counterlung plate/tray/surround thing vs "x-plate," whatever you want to call it. Both are dirt simple and easy to fix. If you're a sidemount diver, the KISS Sidewinder is gaining lots of traction, but it has some unique....foibles? that you have to be aware of.

Also, you're gonna need a lot more OC knowledge before you get into it. Advanced Nitrox definitely, so might as well do AN/DP and get used to carrying extra bottles with you. A solid Intro-to-tech/ABC/Fundies type of course will be majorly beneficial as well.

That would be the Hollis Prism. Being new to rebreathers you may see a smoking deal on a Hollis Explorer, but you would have to be smoking a lot of that cali weed to even consider one of those. The best description of an Explorer is "all of the downfalls of a rebreather with none of the benefits".

That would be the Hollis Prism. Being new to rebreathers you may see a smoking deal on a Hollis Explorer, but you would have to be smoking a lot of that cali weed to even consider one of those.

You mean like this guy?

tyler.jpg

LOL, that's perfect!!!

I wouldn't put a lot of energy into matching your buddies. I have buddies who dive rEvo, lol. And that unit is total garbage. Yes, I dove one for years before I knew any better.

There are lots of good rebreathers. And people are right, there isn't one best rebreather. Every single one has pros and cons. I like the Optima. It's probably my favorite. Resale is the best for the buyer because there are a LOT of them out there, and the electronics are fantastic. The liberty is too heavy and I think I'm the only one in the world selling a used one right now. It's a fantastic unit, but for travel, it's going to be a pain in your back and wallet. And not much of a second hand market. With Huish now owning Hollis, I wouldn't buy a prism. They are selling cheap though. You can get lucky and find a meg for 4k. I've seen Titan's sell for under 2k. And they are great, light units. They just had bad marketing/ownership so they didn't take off. If i see a cheap one, I'll pick it up for my daughter or son. Ultimately, look for great deals in your area, and then ask the crowd about the pros and cons. Weigh the good and the bad. For example: rEvo is super simple... it also sucks in every conceivable way. See, Pros and Cons... LOL

This is probably the only time I would venture to cordially disagree with @Superlyte27, who is vastly more experienced than I am. But, that's why I think I might have some credibility -- I'm not that far removed from being a new guy with a CCR with a lot more left to learn.

I've learned a ton from being around folks with a similar unit. When I have a 2000 hours on half a dozen different units, perhaps I won't need that as much. But, having folks to compare notes has been super helpful. What's normal and what isn't. My buddy thinks his PO2 is bouncing around more than it should? Switch controllers with him and try to see if it is a real issue and whether it is the controller or not. Is it worth getting the new counterlungs? Borrow a buddy's and try them out. Software quirk, whatever. I got tired of the perpetual warnings about bailout gas reserves (if you dive a Meg15, you'll know what this is). There's a workaround. Not in the manual, just word of mouth.

When I first got my unit, I kept getting cell disagreement warnings because the solenoid jammed O2 right on to Cell #3, causing it to spike relative to the other two. Turns out, ISC made a little delrin diverter that solved that problem. Sure, I could dope it out or post a question or email ISC. But, as someone new to CCR, it was great to have someone there to say "totally normal, it's XYZ causing it, and here's the fix."

Like I said, I would never argue that this is so important that you should get a crappy unit just to match your buddies (not going to take the bait on the rEvo...). But, if you have some good choices, and one happens to be popular in your group, there is more benefit than you would think.

<SNIP>

For example: rEvo is super simple... it also sucks in every conceivable way. See, Pros and Cons... LOL

full disclosure: I still dive a rEvo and I still hate a couple of things about them. The new RMS is not even a consideration and I am speaking of analog versions.

Obviously your got butt hurt somehow with your rEvo but saying it sucks in every conceivable way is a flat out lie. Point out the sucky things individually and offer valuable input or please stop unit bashing for not apparent reason.

ALL units have pros and cons, all of use know this is just a fact!

I agree it is helpful to get a unit that is commonly used in your area.

The rEvo is certinly not garbage as one or two state above, it is a very capable unit with a well proven track record, used by many around the world.

I agree it is helpful to get a unit that is commonly used in your area.

The rEvo is certinly not garbage as one or two state above, it is a very capable unit with a well proven track record, used by many around the world.
I will agree with that.

Earlier this summer I was on a California boat that had 5 rebreathers. 3 rEvos, 1 Prism, 1 Poseidon.
I've seen a few other rebreathers on boats over the year as well. rEvo has the highest numbers, Prism second place, others are just one offs. I remember looking at a JJ on one of the trips and was impressed at the massiveness of it. I guess I could have taken notes on each trip but didn't feel it was necessary. I think the only big name I expected to see but never did was a KISS.

In fairness one of those rEvos was mine. It is not perfect, looking up while on my back the WOB isn't great with the chipmunk cheeks. It has too many cells. That's about all I don't like about it. Still like it, no plans to change. Doesn't stop me from looking around. If you have specific needs (sidemount for caves, super deep stuff, etc.) there are better choices, no doubt about that. But don't let that sidetrack a good general purpose rebreather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom