New to rebreathers - what do you recommend based on this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s not bad for a CCR mod 1 course, but how much do all the TDI Heliotrox prerequisite courses cost, not including basic open water?
Well it has been years, but about 2000 if you include aowd and rescue.

Tdi let's start with helitrox ccr course. So you can use 20 helium diluent. That's why you bought the reberether, to use helium, right.

You must have completed either advanced nitrox/deco procedures or advanced nitrox/helitrox on open circuit before you can enroll in MOD 1 with either helitrox or full deco as your entry into CCR diving. It's under pre-reqs in the standards:

https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/u...Standards_31_ADDP_CCR_Unit_Specific_Diver.pdf

https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/u...dards_32_Helitrox_CCR_Unit_Specific_Diver.pdf

Ken did you dive the Classic in OHE's, my RB is a venerable Kiss Classic (No 16) and I accept that it won't de-water so ensure that bailout is more than adequate and rely on the fact that it is relatively flood tolerant.

I always use a gag strap for this reason.

Yeah, I've been 11,500' in Cathedral Canyon with a KISS Classic.

Brett Hemphill also did quite a bit of extensive exploration with a classic.

Am I right in thinking you changed to a Fathom from the Classic, just wondered what catalysed the change?

I went to the SF2 from the Kiss because of the lack of flood tolerance on the Classic. I kept the SF2 but added a Fathom into the mix because there were some limitations with the SF2 (breathing in certain positions, which makes doing deco at one site nearly impossible).

The fathom looks like a fantastic piece of equipment, from what I've seen. But I'm not a fan of MCCR.

I'm going to overcome that bias when I buy a sidewinder. But all rebreathers are a give and take.

The fathom looks like a fantastic piece of equipment, from what I've seen. But I'm not a fan of MCCR.

I'm going to overcome that bias when I buy a sidewinder. But all rebreathers are a give and take.

That's alot of give and take in the sidewinder. It seems like a fun unit I'd love to play with for cheap. Watching all the guys on cdf struggle with getting it setup easily makes it less appealing. Then you add no flood tolerance at it gets more so. I actually demoed Edds (he wouldn't let me out of class otherwise) and it was surprisingly easy to use and trim out. It does seem like a cool unit if your ok with those shortcomings. If another one comes up cheap like Forrest's I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I can't justify it at full price.

I also saw someone using the sidekick with their backmounted doubles as the drive gas/ bailout. I thought that was a pretty slick idea.

Back
Top Bottom