new to the board from south alberta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bridgediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello all.
I stumbled on this board a couple of weeks ago and am still trying to get my bearings but it seems really good. I really like the polls.

I've just started diving again just this past fall and unfortunately I'm stuck on the praries of western Canada. Most of my diving is limited to the mountain lakes. I probably shouldn't say limited because I enjoy getting out there as much as I can. Its better than not diving at all!

I absolutely love the wrecks in the great lakes and plan to return each year! I have definately caught the wreck diving bug and plan to pursue that type of diving. I realize I've got alot to learn but I think it will be worth it!

I just got back from an awesome trip to Nanaimo BC 2 weeks ago and had the opportunity to see a bit of their wrecks - not to mention the wide assortment of critters they have in those waters! I'll be back there too!

So which place do I like the most? I don't know, I'll let you know in 10-20 years!

This board seems so huge and the amount of info/experience on it seems endless! I thought I might as well jump in and learn what I can from you all.:wave: :wave:

Welcome to the board from Calgary. Those west coast wrecks are cool. I was just out in Nanimo two weeks ago as well. We had some awesome dives on the Cape Breton. We came across a Pudget Sound King crab that was the size of a large tire rim, he was sitting at the bottom of the engine room in about 135' of water.

No kidding? You were there 2 weeks ago? Thats really cool...
We were there april 28 to may 1.
We managed 3 dives on the saskatchewan and 2 on the Breton - we didn't even see half of the Breton its so huge! (I still seem excited don't I?). I'm a little ways away from making 135'; we stayed mostly along the main decks and superstructures. It sure makes me want to go back for more!

I must admit I don't think I seen any of those crabs you're talking about but I'd like to pay him a visit one day too!

We were there from April 27 to May 1st diving with Ocean Explorers and the balance of the week over in Sechelt diving on the Chaud.

On the Breton we did a dive on the first deck from mid ship (engine room) to the bow on the starboard side main corridor and returned along a corridor on the port side (50 min total time). We entered the engine room via the "sky lights" on the main deck. We also did a dive on the first level from the engine room to the stern following the same pattern.

Way to cool. We probably walked right by each other. There were a few of us from the board out there. See this thread: Naniamo Trip and this thread: Dive write up.

We did our dives with sundown and stayed at the best western. I herad good things about ocean explorers too and almost went with thier deal but we were quite happy with six of us in thier big boat!

Those sound like really great dives! I guess a guy has to have doubles to see her properly. on the Breton, we only seen the helicopter deck on one dive and explored the exterior (mostly) from the bow to the bridge on the second dive - like I said, not even half of it! I heard about that skylight thing and that will be a "must do" next time as soon as I can carry the gas to do it. We were learning basic penetration stuff and practicing reel work outside most of the time. My first penetration was that little room on the main deck at the very front. You wouldn't know what that room is called would you?

I checked out those threads and its too bad I didn't find this board earlier, sounds like a good time! Do you guys meet up often? I didn't think the meeting-a-buddy-through-the-net thing was a real possibility but this board seems fairly active that way.

How was the chaudiere? I hear it is as impressive as the sask.

The Chaud was dark and covered in life. I didn't do any penetration dives on her this trip. She is different from the Saskatchewan as she lays on her port side and the bow is 45' deeper than the stern. Its not as *sterile* as the Sask, I think as the Reef Society guys did more boats, they cleaned them up more.

I am glad you had a good trip. I think that I'll be doing a *single* single tank dive in Waterton this weekend. Interested?

Sorry I don't know the name of the room you mentioned.

mid day sunday would work the best for me or early saturday. I work saturday night and monday day. Why only one dive though? How about 2?

bridgediver once bubbled...
No kidding? You were there 2 weeks ago? Thats really cool...
We were there april 28 to may 1.
We managed 3 dives on the saskatchewan and 2 on the Breton - we didn't even see half of the Breton its so huge! (I still seem excited don't I?). I'm a little ways away from making 135'; we stayed mostly along the main decks and superstructures. It sure makes me want to go back for more!

I must admit I don't think I seen any of those crabs you're talking about but I'd like to pay him a visit one day too!

The CB is indeed one big ship. We dive it with doubles and scooters and even then we can only cover half of the ship and maybe explore one or two decks at most. If you're interested, check out our pics at www.mossmanscubaventures.com and follow the "Nanaimo 2003" links.

We've also done both the CB and the Saskatchewan on one dive. There's not a whole lot to see in the area between the 2 wrecks!

Welcome to the board. Just keep diving! Fresh, Salt, Warm, cold. It's all good!

Jimi

nadwidny, your reputation precedes you sir. Ed was telling us about these divers that scootered from one wreck to another. Sounds very cool!! That's one awesome web site too, thanks. That's one serious dive resume. Love all the stuff on there.

jimisurf, thanks and I will!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom