New to the sport (Purchasing Related)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My O2 tester was damaged this spring, seems it just does not stand up to being driven over by a fully loaded 3/4 ton truck. Lesson learned, don't drive over your O2 tester OR don't drop the darn thing in the first place!

So I had to replace it.

Purchased a brand new Analox EII from Leisure Pro, and got it 2 days later here in Canada. It's not the only purchase I have made from LP, and every time I have made a purchase I have been completely satisfied.

That being said, last year I spent $6000.00 at my LDS. This year I have already spent $5000.00. Whereas LP last year received about $800.00 and this year so far it has been about $550.00.

So yes I support my LDS, but when they don't have what I want, I go to LP or elsewhere. However my LDS pricing and LP pricing is most often within 5% + or - from each other. So my dealing with LP is driven more from an availability standpoint rather than a pricing one.

A good LDS will realize that the market they are in is now global in nature, and will use every tool they have to make sure they are competitive. If they don't, they will not succeed in today’s market place.

It appears that the small LDS will have a very hard time competing.

pt40fathoms:
My O2 tester was damaged this spring, seems it just does not stand up to being driven over by a fully loaded 3/4 ton truck. Lesson learned, don't drive over your O2 tester OR don't drop the darn thing in the first place!

So I had to replace it.

Purchased a brand new Analox EII from Leisure Pro, and got it 2 days later here in Canada. It's not the only purchase I have made from LP, and every time I have made a purchase I have been completely satisfied.

That being said, last year I spent $6000.00 at my LDS. This year I have already spent $5000.00. Whereas LP last year received about $800.00 and this year so far it has been about $550.00.

So yes I support my LDS, but when they don't have what I want, I go to LP or elsewhere. However my LDS pricing and LP pricing is most often within 5% + or - from each other. So my dealing with LP is driven more from an availability standpoint rather than a pricing one.

A good LDS will realize that the market they are in is now global in nature, and will use every tool they have to make sure they are competitive. If they don't, they will not succeed in today’s market place.

So does Leisure Pro service regs, fill tanks, tell you where the good dive sites are?
You're going to miss your LDS when they close.

cheers,

wedivebc:
So does Leisure Pro service regs, fill tanks, tell you where the good dive sites are?

cheers,

Keep in mind not all on-line shops are the same. Yes, we fill tanks, service regs, and actually - there are no good dive sites in Texas... But if there were, I'd tell you!

There is definately a difference between some on line shops that have no warranty and boot leg their gear - and an actual shop that does training, service, etc, but also sells on line... at about the same prices - and with full manufacturers warranty!

Just because we sell on line - doesn't mean we're not a LDS as well...

wedivebc:

cheers,

When I can buy an Aqualung reg, SeaQuest BC, etc. from an authorized dealer in Texas, with full warranties, pay to have it shipped to Colorado, and still save $200+ on each item from what the LDS's want here, how can I argue?

I think one problem is that most LDS's don't make money on classes. Instruction is a 'break even' or even a loss. The gear is the 'cash cow'. That's where the problems of quality instruction come into play. Since most instructors at an LDS become an equipment salesperson first and instructor second, the emphasis is put on quantity of sales rather than quality of instruction.

An Aqualung Legend LX at an LDS here is $595 or more just for 1st and 2nd stage. Then there's the octo and gauges. I know what cost is, and the markup is ridiculous. How about a mask for $120 when I can get the exact same thing for $30?

From the frequency that the LDS owners are out of country on dive trips, it seems to be to fund their hobby. I'm nopt knocking capitalism or free market, but sanity must enter the picture.

Here in Colorado, people have no problem come October when the peaks start to turn white, running out and dropping $1,000+ on skis and bindings, $400+ on boots, $400+ on jackets, pants, etc. I ski also, but I sure don't pay retail. It is somewhat easier to sell ski equipment and lessons around here when people can just look around and see mountains and know that you can use that gear 5-9 months out of the year, with only a 1-2 hour drive.
But scuba becomes more difficult as Colorado has no beachfront property yet, the lakes are cold, Surprisingly, there are quite a few divers in Colorado. I heard that we have the highest number per capita in the nation. But everyone still wants a deal when it comes to diving here.

I'm all for supporting the LDS's as I may soon be one myself, sort of. However, there needs to be some way to meet the wants and needs of the diving community who don't have "Bill Gates" money.

Until that glorious time when California finally falls into the Pacific and takes everything west of South Dakota with it, South Dakota will continue to be land locked. (in anticipation of this event, I already have 10 acres of future beach front property)

Land locked dive shops do need to make the extra effort to stay competetive and LDS prices in inland areas are often more competetive than their more spoiled saltwater relatives. Sometimes however the reverse is true and the beached LDS continues with an attitude that if a diver wants it, he has to get it through me and pay whatever I charge. The good news is these guys will not remain in operation for long. The bad news is that neither will their compressors.

But if an LDS wants to remain competetive there are numerous wasy to do it even with the restrictive pricing structures imposed by come manufacturers. Student discounts, package deals, frequent turnover and sales of rental equipment and trade in allowances for used reulators and BC's can all provide mechanisims for the LDS to compete with on line retailers. It is often not possible to match an on line price but it is possible to come close enough where the small amount of extra cash paid is worth it for the additional service and convenience received.

scubatoys:
Keep in mind not all on-line shops are the same. Yes, we fill tanks, service regs, and actually - there are no good dive sites in Texas... But if there were, I'd tell you!

There is definately a difference between some on line shops that have no warranty and boot leg their gear - and an actual shop that does training, service, etc, but also sells on line... at about the same prices - and with full manufacturers warranty!

which online shops have no warranty? LP does if you are attempting to slander them. also what is" boot leg their gear" are you implying that your competition is dishonest and you are a sactuary of integrity online? im curious why you are permitted to make such post when they are so oblviously advertisements and attempts to discredit your competition. i have never heard a bad thing about your business on this board or any other. you should let your happy customers speak for you. they certainly do a better job representing your business then you do. i've always been impressed with your satified customers post and also your website and pricing. with that said im not impressed with your cheap shots and again wish you would put your personal business addvertisments in its rightful place. just some thoughts from an independent intructor who shops online and makes recomendations to people.

scubatoys:

I mentioned in my earlier post that if a local dive shop does not realize they are in a global market, and adjust for those realities, they will fail.

Seems you have decided to adjust and compete head on. That is the sign of a business that is willing to stick its neck out rather than bury its head. Sticking your neck out is risky, but failure is certain if you bury your head and merely complain.

Keep up the good work, and I'll check your selection out next time I am going outside my local LDS for a purchase.

Don't forget to check out SCUBA.COM, they provide manufacturers warranty and will match ANY price whether online or not!

I am approaching this the same way as another expensive hobby I have with the exact same situation. Support the local merchant some and buy online when I chose. I don't expect the same prices as online at the LDS, but I should not have to pay 2X the online price of a $500 item.

Back
Top Bottom