New to this board, next trip - Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JC in AZ

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I've been a diver for over 20 years but getting wet has been infrequent lately, maybe I'm getting old?? Anyway the next trip is in April to the Florida Keys with my wife. Never been there before. After that we get on a cruise and will dive Cozumel (have been there) and Roatan (another new one for us). Have booked 4 nights at the Breezy Palms in Islamorada based on recommendations here. So what dive shop should we use and where should we dive if our preference is moderate depth 50-80 feet? Much deeper and we tend to be air hogs. I see many of the favorite dives there are fairly deep wrecks. No deco diving for us. Any advice and recommendations is welcome. Thanks, Joe

Lots of reefs in the 20-50 ft range. The big wrecks are deeper in the 100 + range. Often 100 to the main deck. Personally I like the reefs.

I have done some dives in the 50-80 ft range. They were all drift dives on the outside of the reef. Once you are past the reef the bottom slopes down to the deep wrecks. Some places slope is somewhat steep, others gentle. The bottom is open, viz is often very good. Will see sponges and the like rather than big coral. Variety of fish life and may see a few reef sharks, etc. Several boats will sometimes run drifts on the outside off molasses. My experience has been they were more common on small 6 packs but I have also done them on one of Ocean Divers big boats. (There were only two of us diving)

Thanks Steve, based on that I think we will try to do Molasses and Spiegel on the same day/outing. Will talk to dive shops about that. So you recommend Ocean Divers?

I have dove maybe 20 times with ocean divers. Also with Horizon, Sea Dwellers, and Blue Water. In recent years I have found myself more susceptible to some nausea if it is bouncy. I also like to be able to stand up and move around while the boat is moving. OD has big boats. They will also go even if they only have 2-3 divers. On the reef dives they give a briefing and then it is be back in an hour. So one can do their own thing. I usually stay at mile marker 100 which is at the marina. The same building as OD is sharkey's a casual restaraunt on second floor and a bar etc on the first. So if you are doing dives in both the AM and the PM there is time for some fish tacos which are pretty good. Or when done diving a cold beer is waiting.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida.... slightly above the Keys..hope you and yours have a great trip.

+1 for the fish tacos at the Galley (upstairs family restaurant)/Sharkey's (downstairs smokey bar), next door to Ocean Divers. They have lots of other good stuff, fresh fish, oysters, conch fritters... makes my mouth water.

I believe the Quiescence Shop has 120 cubic foot steel tanks for rent if you're concerned about air consumption.

BTW, any idea what "Garibaldi" in my profile means? I did not put that there, it just showed up.
A garibaldi is a new fish. When you've been here a while, you become something else, unless you join a user group like divemaster or instructor.

We dove a few times with Sea Monkeys in Islamorada and never had a bad dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom