New To Wearing Hoods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always use my hood (or swimmer's cap in tropics) just to keep water from going FAR into my ears. And I try not to tip my head sideways, especially when donning/doffing fins. My advice is DON'T cut the hood with pin holes, etc. -- IMHO- not at all necessary.

Thanks for the additional info! It's the typical rental gear from my LDS. So no hood modifications. Didn't notice a vent on the top of the hood so if a bubble develops in the top of the hood I guess I'll have to ride out the cert. as a cone head. LOL

I was going to make a 3 and a half hour drive the same day as the dive. But I gave myself a break and added a hotel in Cupertino for Friday. That gives me an hour and 15 minutes to Monterey, the first morning drive and more sleep.

Ha, considering where you ears seem to be, your hearing must be a bit "unique" then:wink:
Seriously, thanks for the tip.

I have ringing of the ears from steam ship engine room noise in the Navy. Doesn't effect my hearing that much. But I have takin care of myself which allows me to continue Diving at my age. Don't drink or take drugs never smoked and walk about 2 miles a day. My avatar was taken in 1966. Enough BS.
The boric Acid is what our grandparents used as a antibiotic so it might be the answer to the OP for your swelling. Use it after every dive not when it starts to bother you or starts itching.

Since you're diving in cold Monterey waters then (obviously) you have to wear a hood. I even wear a thin hood in tropical waters, so that when doing multiple dives my core stays warm. I was having equalization problems in my left ear when using a 5mm hood. Somebody recommended putting small ear holes using this method: Heat up a small screw driver in a flame. Melt a small hole at the ear canal point. This will prevent fraying of the fibers. Another trick some people use is to simply pull the hood away from your ears while equalizing. I hope this helps.

What shop are you going with? I will be working a OW class this weekend. For me I just slip me finger under the edge of my hood and let a little water in usually only need to do this the first dive of the day. Also if you get your own wet suit look at the ones with the hood attached I think they are easier to deal with and less leak points have fun this weekend and don't over think it! The swell report looks decent for Monterey this weekend.

I would follow up with your Instructor or shop I just got word that multiple beaches are now closed in Monterey do to a sewage spill our class was cancelled.

Yes it was canceled and I'm hoping for March 4 and 5th. Depends on the e-coli contamination. The LDS in my case is: Dolphin Scuba Center - Sacramento. Thanks

One small issue I had was an XL hood I tried on strangled me and was so tight on top that it hurt like hell. So I tried on a 2XL and it was snug but didn't hurt and I agreed on that size. So the next day at home I put on the hood and it choked me and hurt like hell. There was a size on the outside that said 2XL but inside it said XL in tiny print. Good thing I didn't have that for the checkout dive.

If you have a very well fitting hood, or a freedive type suit that has a smooth rubber interior, it is absolutely critical that you flood the portion of the hood surrounding your ear. I must do it every time I enter the water with my freedive suit.

Without this practice, I will expereince a significant external ear squeeze which will cause your ear drum to explode outward. I have never tried putting small holes over the ears, just slide the hood a little on descent and allow water in.

With a typical warm water, thin, nylon lined hood, I have to do nothing.

For very cold water I think a freedive suit with no zippers and an attached hood is best. If you are wearing a typical zippered scuba suit, another good solution is to wear a 3 mm hooded vest and then wear another 3 or 5 mm hood over top, but cut the outer hood bibb completely off, since you don't tuck it in and it allows neck mobility with just 3 mm over a small portion of the neck.

With rental gear, you take what they've got. But a decent hood is not expensive! Consider getting it online, most starting divers would buy hood, glove, booties, and then just rent the wetsuit if need be.

With your own hood, you take a heated coat hanger wire, melt a small hole at each ear, and two more on the top seam, for "head up" and "face down" to let air out. Your hearing will be much better and you'll have basically no water circulating through and making you colder.

Years ago a dive club buddy asked me why I had holes over my ears, and then could I put holes in her hood. Caused a bit of an upset on the dive boat when someone notice me taking The Big Dive Knife out and attacking her head.(G)

You need to check the fit of the hood versus your mask. If the hood overlaps the mask, you are more likely to get air trapped in the hood. If the hood doesn't quite touch the mask--that's the right fit, and you may need to own & trim your own hood to get it that way.

So I swapped out the tight hood for another one. The one that fits snug but not too tight is an XL but in a different brand. So I still have another issue unrelated to the hood which I'll start a new thread for.

Back
Top Bottom