New To Wearing Hoods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only use drysuit-style hoods. I.e. it covers the neck, but no skirt to tuck in. A lot of my diving is in local quarries that are commonly around 40F on the bottom. Wetsuit or drysuit, I have never felt any need for a skirt on my hood. Generally, they do overlap my drysuit neck seal or my wetsuit neck just a little bit, so I don't have a strip of exposed skin around my neck - and I only don't have anything interfering with the seal of my suit around my neck. And nothing trapped and making it harder to turn my head. I also like that I can take my hood off without undoing any part of my suit. And I can put it on last, right before I splash.

My new favorite hood is a Bare Ultrawarmth 7/5 drysuit hood.

7mm Ultrawarmth Omnired Dry Hood | BARE Sports

My previous favorite was the Seasoft Ti PRO drysuit hood with Zipper (6mm).

Ti PRO Drysuit Hood with Zipper

But, I like the Bare better because it is a lot more stretchy, so it's more comfortable. It doesn't give me jaw fatigue like other hoods I have used do. And it seems to be very warm. It dons just as easily as the Seasoft hood with the zipper open. The Bare also seems to have a smaller face opening, so it overlaps my mask skirt and I have less exposed skin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom