New Trilam or Crushed Neoprene Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Based on research, my thoughts for my first dive Drysuit are:
(1) Want a 55+ deg trilam (fabric) or crushed neoprene Drysuit
(2) Want to use the least amount of lead as possible; from reading, using thin Merino Wool insulation would be the best to help with this.
(3) In the past, I have owned and used a back-zip neoprene Drysuit for windsurfing, but a diving Drysuit is a different animal. In relative terms, I’d like for this Drysuit to be easier on & off.
(4) I’m thinking an attached neoprene sock, instead of a boot, would be a better approach
(5) I am a recreational diver only, so abuse is unlikely, but I don’t like the performance loss and hassle of leaks, so durability, in that context, is important.
(6) I’m slender; 5’10” and 152 pounds with a 33 inch waist.

Please help me out! What are your cost effective suggestions or pro & cons:
>> Trilam (fabric) or Crushed Neoprene?....... and brand/models?
>> Size: Standard suit or made-to-measure

Thanks in advance for all!!

I have a bit of experience with a trilam suit (DUI) and a lot more experience with a compressed neoprene suit (ScubaPro). Note that crushed neoprene is technically a DUI thing on their CF line, whereas other companies use "compressed neoprene."

Each type of suit has its pros and cons. A compressed/crushed neoprene suit will require less insulation at any given water temp because the material itself insulates some. This will likely mean less lead, as bulky undergarments require more ballast to sink. Diving a trilam, for example, I require 20 lbs of lead in 50 degree water, whereas in my compressed neoprene suit I only need 14 lbs (and could probably get away with 12 lbs). That's because I use two thin layers of polypro undergarments in my neoprene suit but require fleece undergarments in the trilam. Because of this, you can wear a compressed neoprene suit that is trimmer in profile, which is nice for efficiency. It also avoids that feeling of wearing a garbage bag in the water, and there really is no bubble (or a minimal bubble) with which to contend.

On the flip side, if you get a slimmer compressed neoprene suit you don't have as much room to layer thicker layers for a wider range of water temps. So think hard about where you plan on diving during the life of the suit.

Some prefer attached boots, while others prefer socks. I prefer socks and rock boots (Chuck Taylors, actually) because I don't want to have to roll up my suit with sandy/dirty boots attached.

Back-zip is a pain in the rear. Sure, you will always have a buddy with you anyway so you might not think it's a big deal. I found it to be annoying because you always have to bug your buddy to help you unzip after a dive. Before a dive it's not a big deal, but after a dive your buddy is already unzipped and getting out of his/her suit and is breaking down gear and you're standing around waiting for a good time to ask him to take a moment and unzip you.

For what it's worth, I now dive an Aqualung Fusion Bullet and absolutely love it. I only have a few dives on it so far, but I find it far more comfortable than either a trilam or my compressed neoprene. A lot of people love the Fusions, but some people hate them. Again, everyone has a particular style and material they like. Check them all out, try on a bunch of them, and see which one you take to.

i bought the whites fusion dry suit .for up in Canada .it is very cost effective for what i use it for(recreation diving)and it is a sock model that you can buy the detachable boots to go with it or use other boots .i usually wear a thin wicking layer and then depending on the water temp i have a fleece one piece for cold dives and for warmer dives i just wore sweatpants and sweat shirts .i agree with outbound with that they are a little bit of a pain in ass to put on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom