NEW TS Sidemount system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluemed

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
NEW TS Sidemount system configured, balanced (no movement of the fins) and ready for some real dives !
I am using drysuit, gloves,10kg's and my pockets full ( reel, mask, tools, smb etc..), ready for some diving in cold water with everything on me to do some tech/cave diving in cold water.

The system is HD, Streamlined, adjusting the harness in 30 seconds and the weighting is as easy as it gets.
There are many advantages and of course also some disadvantages..I am not to worried for sure you guys will name a few ;-)

I am also on the 2 times 1 meter hoses which we are using in ISE similar to what Toddy does.
Yes, there is a backplate involved, I remember people telling me this would never work, I am not married to equipment and as an educator I like to see whats going on and stay open minded ;-)I can always keep on diving what I used to dive..
Now tell me, does it get cleaner than this ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 14.46.57.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 14.46.57.png
    475.9 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
I don't know much about this system. Possible for some pics out of the water to get an idea of what it's about?

Thanks Tom

I've seen the sandwich plates before, didn't get the name connection. I've heard cautionary tales of the two plates acting as a cam with potential for wedging. Im not an overhead diver so didn't really follow up.

I'm intrigued by the double ender to clip off the reg. Looks a little like something I saw you post a pic of. Seems very tidy.

@RainPilot the hard plates can definitely act like a ratchet in true sidemount only passages and are heavily frowned upon by those of us that actually go into true sidemount only passages. To the point that I will not dive with someone using that configuration if we are in a tunnel that is sidemount only in and sidemount only out. I'm not getting stuck and I won't let someone get that stuck if I'm with them. In OW it's actually a pretty decent solution that I have no objection to, but I don't really agree with sidemount in open water in general.

IIRC they are using a weird double ender that is actually attached between the hose fitting and regulator so it isn't a quick deploy. Could be wrong, they could actually have the bungee loop on that one, but I seem to remember that special double ender being a toddy style thing

I don't know much about this system. Possible for some pics out of the water to get an idea of what it's about?
Yes, will add some, you will see that this is not the same wing as in the video...this BP is a bit smaller, kevlar etc...

Thanks Tom

I've seen the sandwich plates before, didn't get the name connection. I've heard cautionary tales of the two plates acting as a cam with potential for wedging. Im not an overhead diver so didn't really follow up.

I'm intrigued by the double ender to clip off the reg. Looks a little like something I saw you post a pic of. Seems very tidy.

Have a look later at the pics, it is not just a sandwich system...

Last edited:
@RainPilot the hard plates can definitely act like a ratchet in true sidemount only passages and are heavily frowned upon by those of us that actually go into true sidemount only passages. To the point that I will not dive with someone using that configuration if we are in a tunnel that is sidemount only in and sidemount only out.

Hi, yes I went through the whole thing with the backplate fobia etc..;-) , like everyone else of course.
Just look at the video.. and tell me this is not a true SM thing and you wouldn't go diving with these guys. ;-)
I don't like to judge and throw around my opinion without trying something, this is what I am doing now, checking things out and learning new stuff.
I see myself as an educator and therefore we need to keep on evolving and learning, if we want to the best we can of course.
I have never been a big fan of the current SM systems with a lot of weight on it, you also can stuck with some of these wings and the weight systems on your spine with a lot of weight in it are also stiff and you can't bent your back..same thing.
I have the new system, in the video is a prototype, this BP is a lot smaller, everything is well protected and extremely well designed.
Have a look at the pictures.
The adjusting is really easy and putting the weights on the system is awesome. (you can put weights asymmetrically, like on A SM RB)
I still need to get into some real action, however, user-friendly and well made it is...
Thanks for the input !

aside from the initial restriction, which was covered with silt/sand which moves, I did not see any true sidemount restrictions. While they dug, they had room to dig so getting stuck wouldn't have been as severe. The concern is when it is rock on both sides. I would not dive with them in a restriction like that as it would risk my safety and I refuse to put myself in a position where my buddy could hurt my safety.

aside from the initial restriction, which was covered with silt/sand which moves, I did not see any true sidemount restrictions. While they dug, they had room to dig so getting stuck wouldn't have been as severe. The concern is when it is rock on both sides. I would not dive with them in a restriction like that as it would risk my safety and I refuse to put myself in a position where my buddy could hurt my safety.
Well, I don't know yet, you know...have a look at the pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom