New TSA Camera Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just saw this today (July 26, 2017) and hope it is 'fake news'. TSA to start screening cameras as they do with computers, separately scanned and in a bin, unless you have TSA Pre-Check. Article linked below from Petapixel.com

TSA Requires a Separate Screening of Cameras in Airports Now

Oh shucks!
Next thing you know we have to put our brains on the tray...
... if it's processing power is larger than that of your cell phone...
... so if you travel with an ancient phone, you are under the scalpel, right there...
... if you have a halfway decent cell phone from the last 10 or 8 years you could plausibly argue its processing power is way larger...

"Also, if you are enrolled in TSA’s PreCheck program, you won’t be required to remove cameras and other electronics from your bag."

A GOES pass is the cheapest piece of dive gear you can buy.

The bigger issue is that it will cause even more delays in line, and more lost or damaged equipment.

Pre-Check is a great idea, but it won't save you from hell if you're coming home internationally. Here's what I would have needed to pull out of my carrSuunto y-ons from Grand Cayman a month or so ago... (if the current rules were in place)

Computer
Mavic Pro Quad Copter
Extra Battery for Mavic
Controller for Mavic
DLSR Camera
Point & Shoot Camera
GoPro Camera
360 Camera
Diver Computer
Transmitter for Dive Computer
Portable Speakers
and maybe extra lens and chargers
I also may have had two dive lights in my carry-on, too.

I also had a Suunto dive computer as part as my octopus in my carry-on. I wonder if they would have caught that, and made me re-run it.

As Snowman indicated, TSA PreCheck and Global Entry (also Clear) are good only in the U.S. or entering the U.S. The removal of electronics, not just laptops, from carrryons for screening has been common for a while in many countries. There is no consistency on what has to be removed from carryons throughout the world. There is also no consistency on what is allowed in carryons. I have been required to remove and place in checked baggage my regulator in the Phillippines and my point and shot camera and portable power for cellphone in China. I have even seen on a flight from Morocco when arriving in Paris, that every passenger had to go through a security check on the jetway with all carryons being individually searched before they were allowed into the airport. Some electronics were confiscated at that time. I don't know what was told to the passengers regarding their electronics since the conversations were in French. We have been incredible lucky in the U.S. not to have had to face the security checks found elsewhere in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom