New Videographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanatic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I am just now attempting videoography. For years I have been a still photo bug. I just got the new JVC MG-77 Video system (www.ikelite.com/web_pages/jvc_mg77pkg.html). Going to bust its cherry in Pompano on the 24th. I have a Sea and SEA LX 25. How much artifical light do you need with the video unit? Any advice would be more than appreciated.

It depends on how deep you go.

If you're above 90 FSW, I would (and do) use a red color correcting filter instead of lights and have great results. I'd show you some videos, but the SB gallery is down :sad:

Here's the filter I use - it's at the bottom of http://ikelite.com/web_pages/videoone.html page.

You trying to take our job? lol

Red filter definitely, also learn to color correct in editing software, that's always helpful.

There are ways of cheating out of lights. I.E. My buddy and i filmed an entire season of our spearfishing show without ever using any u/w video lights. Mostly because we're too poor. Sure they'd be nice, but there are ways around it. heh.

Too complicated to say on a forum though, you'll get it with practice. Just pay real good attention to what's available to you: natural light, water conditions, etc.

But if I could sum it up in keywords:
*White balance
*Natural light
*Shadows
*Manual focus
*Exposure control
*White balance

My system came with a red filter so that is one thing I do not need to purchase. I agree, my digitial camera has software controlled color filters which really bring out the colors. Thanks for the tip.

I use on board lights on only two situations: four ft. or less from my subject, either day or night diving; and to light up the reef on a night dive. Unless you got some real Kicking out National Geographics type lights, they really don't do much good on wide angle or distant vistas. In fact, all they'll do is light up the floating particles and create backscatter. Also, you must remember to remove your red filter when using lights on close subjects, and put it back on when shooting panoramas. If you can't remove while UW, you're limited as to what you can shoot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom