New with questions on masks fins and snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

earlgrimm

Registered
Reaction score

Hello all,

I am new hear and looking into a dive class. ( I did river rescue work for 15 years.)
My water gear is short very short fins and beater masks, and gear.

My wife has no gear.

As I am looking into a dive class I will need a mask, fins, and snorkel for the wife and I.

Is there a good place for reviews online?

Good place to buy online?

Thoughts.

Earl

For a mask you need to try them on and find the one thjat fits you best

There are a couple of places to buy online, but you are probably better off going to a shop to at least get the right sizes. In my experience, they differ greatly from one manufacturer/model to another.

Ken

Hello all,

I am new hear and looking into a dive class. ( I did river rescue work for 15 years.)

My wife has no gear.

As I am looking into a dive class I will need a mask, fins, and snorkel for the wife and I.

Thoughts.

Earl

No point in getting a mask online! You have to make sure it's the right fit...go to a dive shop for that =]! Or try it in a dive shop then buy online!

however...this is a good site! reasonable and they give a lot of advice!

Scuba Diving Equipment at Great Prices! > Deep Blue Dive

Good luck =]

First off, welcome to Scuba Board..

A lot of the places that sell gear on line have reviews (which are not all good ones)..Scubatoys.com and Leasurepro.com are great examples.

We have several equipment areas where you will also find comments.

Masks are a very personal thing.. and it might be better to test out at a good LDS (Local Dive Store)...if they have a good selection. Right now, there are very good masks made by most of the major suppliers..

Fins.. there is a huge arguement over spit fins versus paddle fins...I would never go back to regular fins, but a lot of tech divers hate split fins..

Snorkles are also a bit political, as some don't see a need anymore.. some like the standard tube ones.. and some people love the dry ones ...if it is just for the class, then get a standard tube.. saves money... if you like snorkling, then get a dry one (I use one a lot, so have a aqualung dry one..)

Hello all,

My wife has no gear.

Thoughts.

Earl

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads merged

A couple of the scuba magazines periodically run different equipment reviews, and they can be a decent reference to check out. Typically, a magazine has no stake in whether you buy brand 'A' for $150 or brand 'B' for $75, and if brand 'B' is the better product, they're not going to steer you towards 'A' just because it's a higher profit item.

Some used book stores carry back issues of magazines, and several offer their archives online. I read a terrific test/review of several brands of fins on one such site before deciding which ones I wanted to try.

The internet is an incredible resource, and search engines like Google can find almost anything for you. The big caveat, though, is to be discerning about what you read. Some people post stuff on the internet as though it were Gospel fact and not just their opinion, and some people just have an axe to grind. Consider the source of the reviews you read, and when possible, balance them with other reviews.

I really like the reviews on on scubatoys.com and leisurepro.com. I have bought things based on those reviews and they have been right on. By the way....I love my Cressi frog fins. You're wife might like them too!

The most recent issue of Scuba Diving reviewed a number of masks , you can find the ScubaLabs reviews at Gear | Scuba Diving Magazine but I agree 100% with the others suggesting you need to try on masks for a good fit (no two faces are exactly the same)

Thanks for the info. The reviews are helping . I still have more questions then I know what to do with, but now I have a price comparison. I do not mind paying 10 to 20% more to keep the local gal open, but more then that and online is the way.

Thanks.
Earl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom