New wreck coming to Tobermory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw this about the Norgoma. Sounds like these museum ships are not doing so well.

Museum ship Norgoma board says it's locked out

5/25 - Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. – The board of directors of the MS Norgoma says it has been locked out of the vessel and has been told by police that board members would be trespassing if caught entering the former passenger boat.

In a news release issued late Thursday evening, the St. Mary's River Marine Heritage Centre board alleges the city had the locks changed on the boat Wednesday, and that police were called on a volunteer after the board then “regained their rightful access to the MS Norgoma.”

The locks were changed once more following an incident with police - which the board says individuals attempted to break open a door - and the boat is now in the hands of the city, says the board. The Norgoma board says it is being denied access to “thousands of artifacts” still on board.

City council decided in March that the Norgoma would need to be removed from the Bondar Marina - where it has been moored since it’s decommissioning in the mid-1970s - by April 15 to allow for dock replacement. The old docks have been removed from the marina, but the city has yet to evict the museum ship, citing logistical challenges.

As of March, the city’s plan was to tow the Norgoma to the Purvis Dock at Algoma Steel, billing the $50,000 cost to the volunteer-run marine centre.

“The Board of Directors of the MS Norgoma condemns the actions of the City of Sault Ste. Marie, and will be pursuing the necessary channels to prove legal ownership of the vessel and regain access to it,” says the Norgoma board in a release.

City officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Well I'm sorry Stoo, looks like the real world caught up with TMA. Too bad, the Jones and Manasoo will have to suffice.

S.S. Norisle to be scrapped​

An historic ship that once sailed the Tobermory to Manitoulin Island ferry route on Canada’s Georgian Bay is going to be scrapped.

Township of Assiginack council voted at a recent meeting to accept a proposal from Marine Recycling Corporation to dispose of the S.S. Norisle. It’s going to cost the township’s local taxpayers more than $743,000.

A letter outlining the plan says the Norisle will be towed to a recycling facility on Lake Erie in Port Colborne before the end September.

“It’s a situation that nobody likes, and the few alternatives weren’t necessarily good,” says Assiginack Chief Administrative Officer Alton Hobbs. “Council made an informed decision that was the best decision for the community.”

The 215-foot Norisle was built in Collingwood in 1946. It served as a ferry between Tobermory and Manitoulin from 1947 until 1974, when it and the M.S. Norgoma were replaced by the M.S. Chi-Cheemaun.

The Norisle has been moored in Manitowaning on Manitoulin Island since the township purchased it in 1975. It used to be a floating museum and tourist spot, but has been deteriorating and become a safety and an environmental concern. There are a number of issues that require ongoing maintenance of the vessel and pumps, according to minutes from the Aug. 29 meeting.

It’s also located within about a 100-feet of the township’s water supply intake, another risk discussed by Assiginack councillors when they voted to dispose of the ship.

A group known as the S.S. Norisle Society was trying rehabilitate the vessel and turn it into a Great Lakes tour ship. But the estimated costs — tens of millions of dollars — were too prohibitive. Bayshore Broadcasting News attempted to contact the Norisle Society, but was unable to connect prior to publication deadline.

Hobbs says about 90 per cent of the Norisle will be able to be recycled into metal that will be used in other ships.

Bayshore News

Such a ridiculous situation. The clown behind this half-cocked restoration plan managed to get himself elected mayor, and after that, his only goal was to get someone else to pay for his dream. The funny part is that anyone with half a brain knew that restoring an ancient old half-sunk car ferry and making it into a modern boutique cruise ship, and an area that has (at most) a four month season, was just dumb.

And to cap it all off, they have now contracted to have this great old boat hauled away for 3/4 of a million dollars. Bear in mind that the entire population of the Township of Assiginack is about 1000 people. Take the kids out of that and you end up with a few hundred actual taxpayers that are now having to pay for this out of their own pockets. It's a head-shaker...

I've written to the local media outlets but sadly, this sounds like a done deal...

Ah well...

I can’t tell you how frustrating it was to have this pop up as a new (updated) post, read through 10 pages of posts about the back-and-forth tussle over this ship and then to find out it’s going to be scrapped anyway.

Seriously: is there a single person who thinks that this was a better solution than sinking it as a diveable wreck?

And to think that the first post about this was seven years ago. Seven years of fantasy, all kinds of money wasted on reports and plans, and it gets scrapped anyway.

I want the last half hour of my life back. I can only imagine how locals feel about it.

I can’t tell you how frustrating it was to have this pop up as a new (updated) post, read through 10 pages of posts about the back-and-forth tussle over this ship and then to find out it’s going to be scrapped anyway.

Seriously: is there a single person who thinks that this was a better solution than sinking it as a diveable wreck?

And to think that the first post about this was seven years ago. Seven years of fantasy, all kinds of money wasted on reports and plans, and it gets scrapped anyway.

I want the last half hour of my life back. I can only imagine how locals feel about it.
It’s just a pathetic situation. Norisle belongs in Toby as a dive site.

It’s just a pathetic situation. Norisle belongs in Toby as a dive site.
What's worse is that they have to PAY Port Colborne to take the Norisle. Unfortunately, Port Colborne has been very busy since 2008. It's just been a parade of scrapped freighters.

What's worse is that they have to PAY Port Colborne to take the Norisle. Unfortunately, Port Colborne has been very busy since 2008. It's just been a parade of scrapped freighters.
Some of my favourites, too, like the Ojibwa.

If I ever meet the mayor of that township I’m going to give him a piece of my mind.

At least I can drive down to Port Colbourne and see the Norisle before she’s gone.
My family used to take our car on the Norisle and go over to Manitoulin every summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom