New XT Free Flowed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the things with sealed diaphragm regs is that they are not free flow proof. Especially if the IP is above spec. The other factor here is the water temp. 49 degrees with a 1st stage 10 PSI over max spec significantly increases the risk of free flow in cold water. Not that it will every time but since the dealer was not a DR retailer having them assemble it is taking a chance.
I'm a HOG and Deep Six tech and tech instructor. The DR regs are very similar. I would not, however, take a DR reg and assemble it and sign off on it unless it was for my own personal use. If I were able to access the specs, and after sticking an IP gauge on it and checking the cracking, finding they were out of spec would lead me to recommend you absolutely not dive the reg until it was brought into spec by an authorized tech. Anything else just opens me up to liability concerns that no court would see as prudent.
I do have a concern that they turned the IP down. Without knowing how much the reg was actually used, turning down the IP reduces the pressure on the mainspring. The HP seat has already seen some pressure at 150. Turning it down puts less pressure on a seat that has already been grooved.
A brand new reg will often come in a bit high and can be turned down with little risk. One that's been used may see the IP start to creep sooner since the seat has been compromised. My question to the tech who assessed and then tuned it would be why was the IP so high and was there any evidence of creep? Did it creep up to 150 and lock or did it jump right to 150?
If I knew for sure it was a new reg that had never been pressurized I'd be ok with turning it down as I said earlier. PROVIDED I was authorized to make service adjustments like that by the mfg. If not, you'd be told to have a DR dealer check it.
My other concern is that a shop let you take a reg out that they knew was out of spec and a brand they did not service. That just smacks of non-professional behavior that had this occurred and one other little thing was wrong, could have cascaded into a fatality. Not just a come to jesus and empty tank moment.
Take the reg to a good DR shop. Have them assess it. Let them know everything that happened. They may recommend a rebuild. I would for a HOG or Deep Six reg given the history of this reg and what it's been through. If you refused I'd document the hell out of it and advise the reg not be used. Then if you do use it, my conscience is clear.

No doubt a stressing problem for any diver, esp a new one, cudos to him for dealing with it well. My main point is to not just blame the equipment but rather to find the real issue.
I don't have a XT manual but did look up other DR regs that I do have manuals for, the XT looks to be a variant of them. The manual list the IP for them as 140 +/- 5psi so 150 is just above the max listed. Then throw in 2 different gauges, one reading a little low and the other reading a little high and that 150 IP may have been anywhere from 140 to 150 but again the exact IP (within reason) is unimportant as long as they were set up together.

A bit more to consider, modern high performance second stages, sep those with both operator adjustable cracking pressure and venturi (the XT has both) are very prone to violent freeflow if both controls are set to max performance. This is esp true of the venturi. If the venturi lever is set to max (+ or dive) and the purge button is pressed or the stage is moved through the water it absolutely will violently freeflow. This NOT a malfunction rather it is the venturi doing it's job, if it doesn't freeflow in this condition, it is set up incorrectly. The second stage is designed to have a slight amount of back pressure which counteracts the action of the venturi and stops the freeflow but without something over the mouthpiece to allow the this back pressure to build, the venturi continues to do it's job, flowing more and more air until it maxes out. Take a high performance reg that flows a lot of gas with a effective venturi, add in cold water and you have the perfect conditions for a froze second stage. That is not an equipment malfunction, it's an operator error.

This is operator error combined with physics and my best guess of what happened.
As I said above, I am not trying to insult the OP but rather trying to come up with logical cause of the issue.

Thanks. This is why I came to this forum. I am looking to learn all I can. It is very much possible it was my error. It started when I “threw” my regulator to the side. We just could not get it to stop. It is hard to gauge how long I was at depth after the incident. Maybe in panic I grabbed my secondary too quickly.

I kind of wish instructors had body cams on them. It would be nice to see it all happen

Take the reg to a good DR shop. Have them assess it. Let them know everything that happened. They may recommend a rebuild. I would for a HOG or Deep Six reg given the history of this reg and what it's been through. If you refused I'd document the hell out of it and advise the reg not be used. Then if you do use it, my conscience is clear.

Thanks. I will do that.

I agree with @herman & @Jim Lapenta ‘s points regarding adjustments, “justified” free flow, and free flow induced freeze up in cold water. My personal take away from this thread is that if I am teaching an Open Water class during the “character building” part of the local season in colder water temps, I will be sure to instruct the students to keep the Venturi in the pre-dive position, at least until all skills requiring removal and replacement are done.

I agree with @herman & @Jim Lapenta ‘s points regarding adjustments, “justified” free flow, and free flow induced freeze up in cold water. My personal take away from this thread is that if I am teaching an Open Water class during the “character building” part of the local season in colder water temps, I will be sure to instruct the students to keep the Venturi in the pre-dive position, at least until all skills requiring removal and replacement are done.

I have mixed feeling on this. While dealing with a panicked student with a freeflow is not fun, I think I would prefer to have it happen in class with others looking on. This way the students see the problem and get a chance to deal with a real issue with me providing support as opposed the them not seeing it in class and experiencing it for the first time while not under an instructor. Simulations are usually not very close to the real deal. I think we can agree, if you don't panic, a major freeflow is nothing more than a big PITA. IMO, it's better to experience one with someone who understands this and keeps calm as opposed to having it happen for the first time and your buddy is inexperienced as you are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom