New Year Tutukaka???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichnLenny

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi kiwi divers,

we are heading to NZ over dec/jan for 3 weeks and hope to get in as much diving as possible. Probably going to rent a house in tutukaka for a week or so over new year, looks like there are some great spots there - just a few questions is there much to do at that time of year? is new year good times in the area and are the natives friendly to tourists interaction wise? yes thats all of you!
Massively looking forward to coming over as only one other dive holiday organised to Turkey this year and I have never dived in NZ.
Any help feed back much appreciated,

Rich

Hey Rich,

You'll have an awesome time. The diving in NZ is fantastic, with lots of variety to suit all tastes. The Poor Knights are a definite must see, other places to consider are White Island/Volkner Rocks (out of Whakatane), the wreck of the Mikhail Lermontov in the Marlborough Sounds, Fiordland, the Rainbow Warrior..... the list goes on, where ever you head there will be some great diving nearby.

Tutukaka is very friendly, especially in summer. The marina has a fairly transient population of boaties, and the locals are very used to opening arms to all. Which ever charter boat you use, the crew will tend to invite you for a drink after the day's diving and you'll have a blast!

Diving wise, we tend to get a couple of algal blooms in early summer - the timing is difficult to predict, but in my experience there tends to be one in november and one in december, though earlier rather than later. By the end of december it tends to have cleared up and good vis is much more likely. Saying that, even in the worst of pea soup blooms the vis tends to not frop below 8-10m, and a lot of the really fun stuff at the Poor Knights is the encrusting life - so you can have an awesome dive just by getting nice and close to the walls.

If you're looking at renting a holiday house (introduction to localspeak - known as a "bach", pronounced batch) then you will probably want to book early for that time of year. A lot of people who own bachs will will stay at home for Christmas then head away after Boxing Day with the family. Some useful websites for finding places to rent are:

Bookabach
Holiday Houses

You've got a lot of options when it comes to diving - the main operators I use for day trips are Dive! Tutukaka (Dive! Tutukaka) and Yukon Dive (Yukon Charters), though there others and who ever you speak to will have an opinion. If you're not bringing your own dive gear, Dive! Tutukaka are probably the best set up in terms of rental gear etc.

I'd also think about doing a couple of days as a liveaboard trip, you get more diving in that way. It's also a good option for not having to struggle to find a bach for New Year! There are two main liveaboard options, Pacific Hideaway (Pacific Hideaway NZ) and Ocean Blue (OceanBlue Adventures). I expect that Pacific Hideaway is already booked for New Year by one of the local dive shops, but you might be able to get on to the trip. Phone Mark and Denise (they run PH) to confirm, but I expect Global Dive in Auckland have the trip booked.

Kevin and Janine who run Ocean Blue are also great to dive with, they are less likely to be booked and have a smaller boat which only sleeps 6-7. If you are interested in a liveaboard with them, let me know - I can try and help arrange something and fill up the extra spaces.

Water temperature at that time of year will probably be around 19 degC.... it's still warming up. Most people will be diving 7mm wetsuits, because I am soft I'll be in my drysuit still. It will still seem pretty warm if you are coming from the UK, though!!

Most of the people who post here will chip in and give you some advice - diveChiq, Azza, Packhorse, Plumb_bob etc. If that's not enough, you can check out some of the smaller NZ dive forums such as:

www.scubadive.net.nz
sods :: Index

or feel free to drop me a PM with any specific queries.

Hi Rich
I often dive just after New Year with OceanBlue adventures and a very good time is had. The weather and conditions are generally good (last year wasn't so good so on the law of averages it should be good next time around!).

There are some fantastic shots of the typography underwater in this thread from the www.scubadive.net.nz site

I agree with Andy and advise you to move reasonably quickly if you are going to book a batch as it is peak holiday season and owners often spend the period over Christmas and New Year in their own batches.

The Dive Tutakaka day boats do two dives a day and it is because I like more than that that I go the liveaboard route. Liveaboard clients are usually a mix of travellers and locals at that time of year with perhaps the majority being foreigners.

Good luck with your planning - may see you there!

Alison

Last edited:
Andy,
Thanks so much for the great info we cant wait sounds brilliant. We are heading to Turkey later in year but Im much more excited about heading to NZ and we look forward to diving and meeting divers and locals alike.

Rich n Len

Ali,

thank you for reply really appreciate it and I do hope that we bump into some of you kiwi divers while we are in the dive spots-be nice to be around kiwis again!- going for a dive off newquay soon, freezing! but believe it or not its 26 degrees in west londong today! I kid you not we are melting! thanks again

Rich n Len

Hi all!

Thanks for the good info. I'm lurking as I hope to be out in NZ in mid to late October. It will be my first trip to NZ. Alison had sent me a PM a couples months back originally about the Solomon Islands (I think) because I'm on a liveaboard there for 2 weeks in Nov.

I understand that the sea conditions are variable in Oct. Is that true? I'd like to dive Poor Knights if possible and then spend some time doing non-diving things. However, if you all think that Oct is not a great time to dive, I might focus on non-diving activities. Your views would be appreciated. If I do dive, i will have to rent a suit because I'm not going to bring a dry suit with me.

I know Janine & Kevin (OceanBlue) from my dive center in the UK. While I was doing my DM, they were often at the lake near London on most weekends. They were well respected here and I'm sure they run a good op in NZ. I've been in touch with them, but as I'm in early planning stages so haven't fixed exact dates.

Hi Eau Girl
This thread has regular, almost weekly reports on the diving conditions at the Poor Knights October 2007 starts about page 2.. Reports on temp and viz as well as surface so you can make your own call. I'd aim to dive there anytime I could!

Alison

The only slightly erroneous thing in Andys otherwise stellar advice was..

where ever you head there will be some great diving nearby.
:wink:

Do not go anywhere near North/Mid/South Canterbury on a diving holiday! It is not conducive to great diving.. The only diving there is, requires lengthy periods of NW winds (which in Dec is more likely) but all in all if it's great diving you want stay away... :no:

2hrs North of Christchurch gets you to Kaikoura which has fantastic diving but once again requires NW winds and little to no rain in the preceding week to be truly good.

3.5 hrs South get you into some good diving round Dunedin and if you are up for drive (8-9 hrs from Christchurch) then as Andy said the Fiords are wonderful and if it is at all possible to get down there do it as they are to the South what the Poor Knights are to the North...

Good to hear OceanBlue are rated highly, I'm doing a liveaboard in August.. :D

Thanks Alison. :D I'm convinced! I see that Ocean Blue have a 3 day trip over Labour Day (24-26 Oct) so I've sent Janine a message to see if they have a space!

Thanks Alison. :D I'm convinced! I see that Ocean Blue have a 3 day trip over Labour Day (24-26 Oct) so I've sent Janine a message to see if they have a space!

Well done. Post a report - and pass on my regards!

Alison

Back
Top Bottom