new YKK plastic dry suit zipper care / maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey all.

does anyone have the actual manufacturers proper care and maintenance instructions for the latest YKK plastic dry suit zipper ?

i just had a new zipper installed by the dry suit manufacturer and they cannot / will not send me any instructions. how bizarre is that ?

i contacted YKK canada directly and unfortunately they do not sell this product. they told me YKK actually makes three different zippers. one is made in the usa, one in japan, and one in the UK. i have been told by the installer the one i got was purchased from the UK.

i am asking because everywhere i look or ask, i get different answers.

i have been told to store it open. i have been told to store it closed. i have been told to store it closed but do not close it all the way.

for lube i was told to only lube the rubber closer at the end. i was told do not lube the rubber closure at the end. and finally i was told to close the zip and only lube the outside surface of the teeth.

i am completely baffled that the dry suit manufacturer cannot or will not provide these basic instructions. so if my zipper gets damaged or fails prematurely, how can they blame me if i was never given proper instructions ? but you can be guaranteed it will be my fault somehow right ?

thx for any help you can offer.

I have a TiZip not ykk but I only lube the very (closing) end every so often, I store it open except when I store it mostly closed which is how I transport it. The zipper doesn’t seal by squishing rubber bits together, it uses the mechanical locking of the two pieces to seal, zipped mostly closed reduces the chance of a killer kink in handling this would also help a brass zip but those wear out by being zipped.

The instructions I remember from my plastic zip (forget the brand nor source of data.
Store open, but close the overzip (the secondary zipper that covers the dry zipper to protect from damage). Keeps everything roughly aligned.
Lube only the docking pocket every once in a while. That will be enough. The zip will self lube off what it picks up off the docking.

Few years old now, still like new.

Hope that they did not install a zipper without approval for diving. The zipper manual would reveal that.

Care and storage instructions depend on the type of plastic zipper:
  • The plastic zipper in my dry-suit for sailing/windsurfing just wants lubrication in the docking pocket ('harbor').
  • The plastic zipper in my neoprene SCUBA dry-suit wants lubrication over the whole length.

this is a well written easy to follow set of instructions. however, DUI says exactly the opposite. see pic of what it says on the DUI site.
Capture999.JPG

this is a well written easy to follow set of instructions. however, DUI says exactly the opposite. see pic of what it says on the DUI site.View attachment 605172

I'd go with the Santi instructions. You do need to lube the closure just a bit and as it says that residual lube will coat the rest of the zipper.

I'd go with the Santi instructions. You do need to lube the closure just a bit and as it says that residual lube will coat the rest of the zipper.

at least now you can see why i am confused. i am still going to try and get an answer direct from ykk and it will be interesting to see how these all compare

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom