Newbie - Bonaire or Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kambaschi

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to learn diving while on a vacation. Any thoughts on which Island is better for beginners? Any recommendations for diving schools or accomodations?

Thanks!

Curacao has more nightlife and more to "do" above water than Bonaire. I have not dove there but from what the locals on Bonaire tell me they think Bonaire is better. I do know that the waters around Bonaire have been a marine park for years and are protected which is not the case on Curacao. The diving is very easy on Bonaire, you can shore dive or boat dive and both are fine for a beginner. If what you want to do is eat/sleep/dive then Bonaire is great. There are a lot of good places to stay on Bonaire and plenty of places to eat.. While there are loads of good places to stay and if you ask on Bonaire Talk, everyone will give you their favorite, ours is Buddy Dive ( www.buddydive.com ) Check out their "Dive and Drive" package.
By the way, the water on Curacao ,as well as Bonaire, is safe to drink, this is not the case in many places. Here are a couple of web sites about Bonaire to check out. www.infobonaire.com www.bonairetalk.com

"Try a different location. Roatan better price better diving."

What kind of prices (air/hotel/food/diving) have you found? I am always interested in new places. I find Bonaire hard to beat on a $ per dive basis.

Do what I did....go to both. I was there in June and spent a week on each island. Personally I thought the diving was about equal in both places. I did see a little more diseased coral in Curacao but all things considered you can't go wrong either place.

I found the people of Bonaire to be a little nicer and a little friendlier. We stayed at Buddy's in Bonaire which was great. The staff there really is top notch and they have everything there you would possibly need. In curacao I stayed at Sunset Waters Beach resort which was ok. In general the property was in need of some TLC. The dive operator on site (Sunset Divers) was equally as good as Buddy's. They had only been in operation for a couple of months when my wife and I were there so they were still getting things together. They replaced everything from the previous dive op. New tanks, weights, rental equipment, and even boats. They did not yet have Nitrox but I know it was in the plans for the near future. I look forward to returning to both places in the future.

I just came back from a week in Curacao - stayed at Sunset Waters - great dive facility there. Super shore dives right from the beach area at the resort along with the boat dives. There were some people taking lessons while there - all of the divemasters are great. They lead the dives underwater and are very good with local information both above and underwater. I can't wait to go back. I'm a new diver - finished my 40th dive while there and felt very comfortable all the time. Lots of different sites to go to ranging in depths from 60-90 ft.

What did you think of the accomadations and food there? I thought they could use some general up keep and the food definitely needed some help.

I would go back just for the dive operation though.

I would think that especially for a beginner, Bonaire is the most ideal place to learn (and not just given a choice of those 2). The situation here is unique; the shape of the island is such that it keeps the water on the west side very tranquil, the wind blows from the east 350 days a year. Curacao doesn't have that advantage.
Also, everything on Bonaire is shaped towards diving. All the diving schools are very serious about their courses, most will start in the pool before going in to the ocean and you will get a good theoretic course first in any case. Since Bonaire has an underwater Marine Park, you're made very much aware of the environmental issues (gloves are not allowed for instance).
After that, you have your choice of boat- and shore dives, and dozens of spots to do both. And since the water temperature and visibility are always perfect, you can really enjoy your newly learned skills.

But of course, I'm biased :wink:
(not only on Bonaire, but also on Curacao)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom