Newbie experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

javamama

Reaction score
Okay, just getting going here. My husband has been wanting to get certified for years and I like the thought of it and am willing to give it my best shot, although I have a few water issues. We did the pool work and it went fine. No fear or anything. Mask clearing was a pain, but I wasn't inimitated. I was using the regulator that belonged to the instructor. No problem.

Well, we went to the quarry and I used another 'rental' regulator. I had congestion and sinus problems already. But when I put on the equip and tried the reg., I was feeling like I wasn't breathing. I think that everyone thought that it was my nervousness and so I made the leap. When I got down to where I was to meet the instructor (I think about 8 feet or so to start), I felt that I was suffocating, so motioned to go to the top which I did. I encouraged them to go on and I would stay near the shore and practice breathing through the reg.

While I was there I put the reg. in the water and it just kind of "blubbed" a couple of times. A couple more experienced divers were there and they put theirs in the water and got 'geisers'. So, was my problem a "bad regulator"?

Also, I am also aware that when I was young a local "sociopath" followed me out to the dock where we used to swim and held me under water until I thought that i would pass out, at which time he released me and swam away laughing. Since then I think that I unconsiously connect being underwater with not being able to breath. So I guess I have that hurdle also.

BUT I'm not giving up. As soon as the congestion clears I'm going back to the pool again for awhile and then I will conquer that darn quarry!

Thanks for listening.

Sue

Sue,

Kudos to you for sticking with it despite this initial harrowing open water experience. Hope you are successful during your next trip to the quarry.

One tip I'll give you is that I always set-up/turn-on rental regs/tanks before leaving the shop, taking 1-2 sample breaths. This ensures that (1) you have a full tank (check to SPG); and (2) the reg is functioning.

Again -- good luck and dive safe.

Did you have your instructor breathe off your rental reg? Or have the shop look at it to see if the reg was in desperate need of servicing? Maybe it was damaged somehow by the last person that rented it.

Rental regs are normally simpiliar regs than what you would buy for your own. Not that they are "bad" regulators, just not near as adjustable, and usually unbalanced 1st stages. That really doesn't come into play until you go "deep".

If I know instuctors, the reg you borrowed from him was probably a higher preforming reg (they seem to collect them like dustballs!) and breathed alot easier than the rental reg. Talk to him and see if you can stick with his extra setup, rather than renting.

Either way, stick with it and take your time. Good Luck!!

Do have them check it out, it could very well be the reg. The thing I find about getting started is go slow and be comfortable with it. Hang in there and you will do fine.

Perhaps the reg in question was in need of a 'tune'. Did you ask when it was serviced last? There could be a number of factors that caused the reg to not deliver enough air to you. Try a different brand, maybe even from a different dive shop. Better safe than sorry right? After all, it's your neck that's on the line when you hit the water. Don't take any chances.

I would only add that "test breathing" a reg in the shop isn't going to give you much of a feel for how it'll breathe underwater (unless the shop has an onsite pool :)

You'll do fine but work on the water issues. Way too much fun down there to miss. My question to, did anyone else breath on the reg? What did the instructor say? You gotta know your equipment.
Good Luck!

Just wanted you to know that there are alot of people who deal with fear of water and go on to become great divers. I have worked with a few of these people in classes (pools & ow) over the past year. I would recommend that you attend more pool sessions, if possible, to get more comfortable in the water before attempting your checkout dives. Recenttly we had a student come to about 15-18 pool sessions before she went to the lake. I would dive with her anytime now!! Good luck to you.

Thanks so much! I need all of the support I can get. In fact, I'm going to the pool again today.

Sue

Breathing underwater is a little weird at first, but eventually it's very relaxing. It will definitely pay off in the future, and you'll be glad you stuck with it. Also, remember that short rapid breaths aren't as efficient as long, slower breaths. Additionally, some regulators have a breathing resistance knob or lever- you may want to check that too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom