newbie finds a bottle!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon m

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey all,
just got back from Hawaii (left Sat morning 1 day ahead of the quake) after being certified the weekend before... on our second dive i found a small (medicine?) bottle!
the quote from the DM " just when you think there's no more good stuff to find, somebody finds a bottle on their first dive, you *******" lol! he was very cool after that, though ,offering congrats to me... it was exiting to start my collection so early. now i just have a huge desire to find more! uh-oh!!
-me

Nice! I have a little bottle collection I've started, too. Whenever I found an interesting bottle underwater, I'll clean it off and keep it. So far I have five or six.

Congrats! Unfortunately, you've been infected with the sickness. Soon you'll find yourself dry suit diving in a murky river full of entanglement hazards looking for stuff you'd walk right by at a garage sale :wink:

Any inscription on the bottle? Was it a screw top, or a flange type stopper top bottle? Size?

it is a small ,4-5" high brown glass bottle, it does have some markings (numbers) on the bottom, but nothing on the sides... and it is a screw cap, but i did learn the difference between a stopper-type (no threads) and a screw cap from the DM , who said he'd have been really mad if it was a stopper type! actually , he was really cool, just bustin' my chops about it!
i'm not going to clean it off, it has some neat coral type growths on it, and i think it gives it character... it's nothing compared to some of the other bottles i've seen on this site (those are VERY cool) but, it's mine!
-me

Nice!

I've got lots of old bottles. Treasures, to which my wife has said, "Get that junk out of the house!" and now resides unseen in my dive room in the garage.

How do you plan to clean it off? I used a bath of white vinegar for a couple of days and that did a pretty good job of getting rid of the growths. I'd like to learn of some other methods, though..

geez, i never considered bring up old bottles. i always found it fun to leave them sitting upright on a rock or something. It seems that most of the bottles i find are homes for some sort of sea creature.

Back
Top Bottom