Newbie friendly dive resorts. Know a good one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duffnchris

Reaction score
My huband is getting certified today. (Hooray!) Unfortunately his first open water dive was marred by cold water, swirling silt and only five feet of visibility. (He's obviously not in love with diving just yet.) I want to surprise him with a trip to a diver-resort somewhere warm and beautiful where the reefs are teeming and the water as clear as crystal. The hitch: I haven't gone diving in eight years (sad but true)and I will probably need to do a refresher course. ( I consider myself a newbie all-over again.) Can anyone recommend a place that can combine a refresher course with a vacation and is newbie friendly? Or is it better to do a refresher course first and THEN go on a diving vacation? Thanks!

duffnchris,

Personally, and other may have different opinions, but I would have to say that I would suggest you get your refresher course before you leave for vacation. Why? Well, this way you can gain some of that confidence back and freshin up on those skills instead of having to get that behind you during vacation. Another reason I can think of is if your hubby hasn't experienced the true joys yet I would have to say that it would be better that he isn't waiting for you to gain that back but rather be able to follow you and look to you and see your confidence and enjoyment. Although maybe a little late now I was going to suggest that maybe you ask the Instructor if they have the room for you to tag along. One, it will give your hubby a dive buddy he knows well and Two, let you freshin up on your skills.

Just my thoughts ...

=-)

I wish I could have tagged along but the dive teacher said that I was prohibited because of "liability issues". This was even after I said that I used to assist! Oh, well. I think you're right about taking the time to do a refresher before heading out with my hubby. I am just so excited to get out there again! (Part of the reason I stopped for so long was because he wasn't a diver - didn't even snorkel.) Guess I shouldn't be so eager . . .

Thanks for imparting the wisdom. :)

-Chris

I'd get your refresher before you leave. I do refresher courses in the pool and it only takes an hour or so, depending on the students.

You didn't say where you wanted to go! I can always recommend Cozumel. My favorite dive op there is Cabillito del Caribe... http://www.seahorsecozumel.com/ They are very safety oriented, has small 6 pak boats and will take you to dive sites proper to your experience levels. They are great with new divers without being smothering!

I like LaCeiba Hotel..it's a divers hotel! You don't have to go to an all-inclusive resort to have a great time. But if that's your thing, I hear there are several good ones down there. Just be sure to check out their dive operation really well.

Dee

Wow, for some reason I thought I would have to go through an ordeal of several days/hours to do a refresher. I had no idea it was that simple. I think my brain is sufferin' from being up on dry land for too long.

As for Cozumel, thanks for the recommendation. I actually prefer the intimate over the extravagant. I find all-inclusive resorts a bit "overwhelming" for my tastes. As for me, safety is everything when it comes to heading out to the big blue. I'm glad that there is a place that puts that as its priority. I want to avoid those places where diving is not a passion but a way to make money off the tourists. These guys in Cozumel look like the real deal. I'm gonna check them out. I knew the divers on this website would be experienced enough to separate the wheat from the chaff! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom