Newbie from Central Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just passed my OW yesterday with my kids, 12 & 14. My daughter (the 12 yr old) is in LOVE with diving! So I did the impulse thing and bought all the gear! We are quite fortunate to be sandwiched between Crystal River and the Rainbow River so we have great opportunities to keep practicing!!! We won't dive without an instructor for a little bit with the exception of Hunter Springs where we actually trained, just to practice with our gear. It's intimidating (more so with a child) and exciting at the same time! We're booking Devil's Den with our instructor next week and I'm told Rainbow River is a great dive but I need to learn more about that one!

...I'm told Rainbow River is a great dive...
Rainbow River (RR) is a great dive for your beginning dives. It's shallow, very clear water and easy. But the best part for a new diver doing RR is that it is a Drifting Dive. This is where you do very little fin kicking and just let the water current push you along for a half mile underwater. This gives you all, a gentle experience to understand how drift diving works. After diving RR, you can then graduate to the West Palm beach dive area and drift along in the ocean for a whole new experience. Welcome to the underwater dive world!!

20210124_110559.jpg

IMG_5295.JPG

Welcome to ScubaBoard and Howdy from Texas! Currently on Marco Island for a vacation and am diving here.

I can second the greatness of RR. My son and I dove RR this past weekend and it was awesome. Bottom Water temp is around 72F and the vis was 40’ or better. Deepest depth was 20-25’ or so. Fun and relaxing drift dive for the family!

Welcome! I have never dove Rainbow River, but what I've read suggests I'd really like it. There's a lot to enjoy in the freshwater world, and the excellent vis. there coupled with shallow depths (likely to have more to see than greater depths) sounds like a winning combo.

Congratulations to you and your kids on the OW certification. Welcome to the diving community.

Welcome Aboard. I haven't done RR yet but it is on the list. Going in November for the manatees. Like @Johnoly said rivers are great practice for drifting and the drift diving in Palm Beach and Broward counties is awesome.

Welcome and don’t be hurry to do everything at once. Truly, diving in Florida “is a journey and not a destination!” Enjoy the diving and the time with the family.

I love rainbow river! I go tubing there (lazy river style) and diving from time to time, keep in mind that you cannot bring any disposable items with you (bring tupaware for snacks and reusable bottles for water) deepest spot is maybe 25ft. I have not been to the devils den or the blue grotto, right next door, but its on my list of things to do. There are also some pretty decent artificial reefs off of clearwater when you are more confortable in the water (50ft-60ft) the keys are amazing for beginners up to more advanced divers and i have heard great things about the Jupiter area, i am planning on going there soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom