Newbie gear questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aatyler

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I'm getting ready to buy my own gear, I've kind of got a budget but I plan on diving alot this summer (Just got certified and college is going to kill my free time, lol). I have pretty much figured out which BC, Reg, OCTO and guage setup I'm going with but my question is, is a computer useful enough to warrant buying one? I'm OW+Nitrox btw, so far I've only had my OW checkout dives... Thanks in advance!

Adam

My suggestion: do not buy new. :) Watch the B/S/T forums here or at Scubatoys forum and buy everything used, you'll save a good bit of money if you do it right. Ie: regs more than a year or two old will need servicing.... if you buy new, then pinch your pennies. For example, the $60 special first stages from 123scuba are a great reg! They are what I dive with. I think they have a similar second stage which will work great for most diving. Gear doesn't have to be name brand or brand new to be good.

I would suggest buying a dive computer, unless you are willing to work out every dive on tables and have a good watch or bottom timer to use. Technical divers tend to do that, but at this point in the game you'd be well served by a cheap air only computer, again, bought used :) You don't need to dive nitrox, and using air is a great way to save some money.

Lastly, buying gear will likely let you dive much more often than if you rent, but don't feel any need to go buy gear immediately. Make sure this is a sport you'll stick with before you drop down any huge amounts of coin on gear.

If you know what you want, you can get a better deal online, and can save some of your money. The big online retailer are very customer friendly. LP is also a good option, if the gear you want is an oceanic brand they you will have a full warrenty. Only couple of the brands they sell are gray market.

As for a computer, it is a nice feature to have, but not completely required for scuba.

If you know exactly what you want, I would call LP and see if they can package it for you, you can save alot of pennies even with the computer. Online is nice, but calling up is always better.

As i remember from my college days, I really had more free time then I know what to do with. LOL. Dive save.

Last edited:
You don't NEED a computer.

is a computer useful enough to warrant buying one?

My answer to that is "It depends." Where are you likely to be heading in your diving? A computer can allow you to take the thinking out of your pleasure diving (I can hear the posts coming now...) or give you something to compare your calculations to. It all depends on how you use it. Tables come with a big bottom-time penalty if you are doing multi-level diving. If you get an air-integrated computer you can do gas consumption calculations at specific points in your dive, -wish that I had gone that way, but I REALLY wanted wrist mount. If you get a gas-switch computer, you won't need to re-buy quite so soon if depth and deco are going to be your thing. An easy-to-read bottom-timer / depth gauge combo never goes out of style, especially if your light happens to be in the wrong hand and you want to glance at your computer. Don't jump on this one too fast, think about how you are going to dive and do your homework.
Stay safe.

Buying used is nice, I purchased some of my stuff used to deal with a college budget. I'm going to disagree with JahJah though, I dive Nitrox whenever I can. Yes, it's a little more money, but more peace of mind for me, and when at depth I like the 'clarity' I get, as well as the extra energy I have on the drive home after a dive (air makes me incredibly sleepy). As far as computers go, I'd look at the Aeris Atmos 2, or the Oceanic Veo 250. The veo is what I dive, and I love it.

Online sales: Scubatoys.com in Dallas. Lucky me, we make the lightening trip from OKC to shop in the store. Also good folks for answering questions.

Local dive shop: this is the real question. These are the people who service your gear (tank VIP, annual inspection of regs, etc.) Take your time on this, then buy from them.
When we started out, we deliberately browsed in the local dive shops, listened to customers, noted what was available and priced goods and services, then did a practice rental. Some shops had shoddy rental gear -- no need to trust them with annual work. Others were customer-oriented. Alas, there is a fast turnover of staff and shops, which will effect your long-term satisfaction.

Sometimes they will only service gear purchased from an "authorized" dealer -- make sure your BC, regulators and computer are registered with the national company. You never know when something will break down overseas and need "authorized" servicing.
Sometimes "authorized" service must be from the nearest manufacturer's dealer -- even if that person is several hours away, and unknown to you. Again, ask first.

The untechnical gear can be purchased online for savings (wetsuit, fins, mask, tank, and the odds and ends.) But a package deal may lower the total cost. Check other threads about this, and be prepared for some harsh words about brand loyalty and monopolies.

Nitrox is good. A nitrox-capable computer is very good. Bells and lights that tell you turnaround time and ascent rate are very good. Freedom from square dive plans is practical, especially on dive boats (contact some to find out if they allow divers with gauges, especially on deeper dives.)
They won't drain the ocean, so take your time.

You're not a USF fan/student are you? :shakehead:

If so, I recommend diving with a cement block :rofl3:

In all seriousness, I'd try and find a good deal on a used backplate and wing, and then get the $60 123scuba.com regs. TDL and Salvo have near identical 2nd stages, which are great for the money. As for wetsuits, there's two people who use them, those that pee in them, and those that lie about it, so I refuse to rent one. I'd buy that FIRST. Jet fins can be had for cheap off ebay ($<$50), and will serve all your diving needs.

I think a computer is useful personally. I would get either the cheapest nitrox/air one you can find, or get something like a Nitek Duo that can do everything so it can grow with you. I just would avoid a "decent" computer that you end up replacing in a year if your style of diving changes.

You're not a USF fan/student are you? :shakehead:

If so, I recommend diving with a cement block :rofl3:

In all seriousness, I'd try and find a good deal on a used backplate and wing, and then get the $60 123scuba.com regs. TDL and Salvo have near identical 2nd stages, which are great for the money. As for wetsuits, there's two people who use them, those that pee in them, and those that lie about it, so I refuse to rent one. I'd buy that FIRST. Jet fins can be had for cheap off ebay ($<$50), and will serve all your diving needs.

I think a computer is useful personally. I would get either the cheapest nitrox/air one you can find, or get something like a Nitek Duo that can do everything so it can grow with you. I just would avoid a "decent" computer that you end up replacing in a year if your style of diving changes.

Why would anyone put a "cheap" price on their life? :confused:
I agree that the back and wing is the best combo and lets face it, fins are fins for the most part so buying used should be no problem. I recommend you spend your money on 2 things, regs and computer. those two things keep you alive under water. The best computer I've found is the UWATEC (prime or tec either is good) it is one of the few that doesn't require a $88 cable to download data to your home computer or laptop.:lotsalove:
as for the wet suit thing... shampoo is only $1 per bottle:rofl3:

Why would anyone put a "cheap" price on their life? :confused:
I agree that the back and wing is the best combo and lets face it, fins are fins for the most part so buying used should be no problem. I recommend you spend your money on 2 things, regs and computer. those two things keep you alive under water. The best computer I've found is the UWATEC (prime or tec either is good) it is one of the few that doesn't require a $88 cable to download data to your home computer or laptop.:lotsalove:
as for the wet suit thing... shampoo is only $1 per bottle:rofl3:
I don't trust my computer with my life. :wink:

Seriously, if it fails, just do a safety stop and then surface. You shouldn't be in deco when recreational diving anyways, so you can do a safety stop and surface. If he were doing deco, he'd need 2 computers, or a timing device and tables as backup at minimum, but I'm guessing there's a lot of diving for him to do before he feels the need for all that.

I am new to diving and bought all my gear brand new. I'll list what I got and what I paid for...I don't think I did too shabby.

Oceanic Hera BC - $230 (50% off sale at Gander Mountain)
Mares R2 Rebel Packages from Scuba toys, which included:
Mares R2 Rebel Regulator (1st & 2nd stage)
Mares Brigade Viper Octo
Aeris XR1 Air Computer with compass
Inflator hose (I bought it as a back up) = $420 for all (also included a free reg bag)
(They also offer a Nitrox comp if you wanted to go that route)

Of course there's also mask, snorkel, fins, lead, bags, wetsuits, tanks, etc...but I am assuming you have all that if you've already done your check out dives, maybe not the tanks & lead, but everything else.

But I recommend checking out those package deals from Scubatoys.com - everything I got in the package I was going to order separately and it would have cost me $100-200 more than the package deal! They have a few different ones to choose from also.

Good luck with your decisions. I love having my own gear. I also feel much more comfortable with it being new gear and it's all still under warranty. I don't trust what other people have done with the gear. I know that I will take good care of it, but I can't be completely sure the previous owner did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom