Newbie - how do I wear a long hose for primary regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lochard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I bought my first regulator set and got the LDS to put the primary on a long hose and secondary on short hose as recommended by many posters here so I can donate in an OOA situation. My question is how do you wear the long hose? I've read people say you use a bungee. How exactly do you do that? And for the secondary as well. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

Here's a video on a setup, obviously the ports you use will depend on the type of 1st stage you have.

The long hose will run down your right side then up your left, around your neck and into your mouth. Any excess hose will be tucked into your waist band or belt so that it doesn't dangle but the full hose can be pulled free easily.

The secondary regulator will be in a bungee around your neck so that it can be easily reached and will not dangle behind you etc. The idea is that when donating gas, you give the receiver the reg out of your mouth and then you switch to your backup which can't be removed by someone else.

You'll need something to retain the hose on your right hip, don't tuck it, it could snag when needing to be pulled out or just more likely keep coming out and annoying you and become even more of a snag hazard.

If you're not using a canister light, then simply get a hose retainer like this Hose Retainer Bar

It's not a difficult but please practise, even better with someone familiar with long hose donation, can easily get caught up in your own hose and accessories. Also ensure you do the long hose free check as the last pre-dive equipment check, common mistakes are drysuit hose over the top making donation extremely difficult.

You'll need something to retain the hose on your right hip, don't tuck it, it could snag when needing to be pulled out or just more likely keep coming out and annoying you and become even more of a snag hazard.

If you're not using a canister light, then simply get a hose retainer like this Hose Retainer Bar

It's not a difficult but please practise, even better with someone familiar with long hose donation, can easily get caught up in your own hose and accessories. Also ensure you do the long hose free check as the last pre-dive equipment check, common mistakes are drysuit hose over the top making donation extremely difficult.
Agree fully on the need for practice, ideally with an experienced long hose diver. Also agree that a check whether the hose is deployable is an important last check.

However, with my body length (average proportions, 5' 10"/177cm) I have never had a hose loop come untucked, I have had it fall off a canister light before and a knife sheath is a non-starter.

Based on the OP questions, I assumed that a canister light etc was not in the cards in the near future.

True, maybe it's just different body lengths\proportions, I've tried and it comes, not often but it does, and to be fair I have also assumed we're talking about BP+W and not a jacket style BCD here. OP doesn't mention either.

I’d bet money on a jacket BCD.

Note I have no problem with that at all.

The 5ft hose does route similarly to the 7ft hose, it just doesn't go all the way down to the waist belt on the right. It basically goes under your right shoulder, across your torso (chest, really) over your left shoulder and around the back of your head. The 7ft hose does the same, except the extra length means that it's too long to go directly from the 1st stage under your right arm and across your torso. So you take the extra length and tuck it in your waistbelt.

IMO 7ft hose is totally unnecessary in open water. The additional length is solely for single file air sharing in restricted passages where divers can't swim side-by-side. The 5ft hose still has the benefits of easy air sharing and great comfort. The only thing is that some larger divers are going to find that 5ft is a little too short, I'm an average size person and it works fine for me. Ideally, companies would offer long hoses in 4" or 6" increments. I'm sure it's possible to order them custom length. For a while I simply connected two shorter hoses with one of these:

DGX Coupler: Joins LP Reg Hoses w/ 3/8-Inch Fittings

This allows a diver to experiment and come up with a perfect length long hose for open water. Then you can either live with the extra 2 o-rings or order a custom hose.

To the OP: In case you don't already understand this, the bungee necklace goes on the alternate 2nd stage which is on a 22" hose. This way the alternate is always located just under your chin. You donate the primary in air sharing, and breathe off the alternate.

I use a 5ft hose (I’m 5’5”). I found a 90 degree adapter improved routing.

There is a 70° that I found a little better than the 90°.
One of the key things I didn't see mentioned was you get the short hose and bungee all set up first. Deal with the long hose second. This way you can undo the long hose without it being wrapped under the short hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom