Newbie looking for carry-on luggage suggestions to put gear in.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I wonder what one of these skeleton dogbone plates would look like on that scattering x-ray pix. Wear it low enough to cover your wibbly bits and imagine what kind of stories you're gonna tell the friendly TSA officer.

There are two issues: Getting past airport security and getting past check-in/boarding. I have no issues with the former. Spread everything out for them to inspect. I do have problems with check-in/boarding. Those people I try to avoid like the plague and I have played all sorts of games, like putting my 25 kg backpack (first stages and ceramics, and electronics) next to someone sleeping (there was hardly anyone at the airport then) while I checked in with my 10 kg bag (which was over and I promised to take stuff out and put in my pockets - helps to speak the same language).

There is the use of cargo pants, photographers vests for stuffing heavy stuff. My wife hates it when I do this, but I don't ask her to carry stuff. I won't every try leaving a bag next to a sleeping person as I could so easily be caught at boarding.

My ancestors did invent the Trojan horse after all! :yeahbaby:

Would help if I linked the bag lol

Scubapro Travel Bag

Some people have commented that bags bearing a dive manufacturer's name/logo might undesirably attract the attention of thieves, believing valuable scuba gear is inside. Who knows what goes on in the minds of thieves?

:D

We check in the sharpies and wife's jacket anyway, and I found that while I can get all my kit in the carry-on, that leaves no room for spare shorts and t-shirt, so... If my backplate gets "delayed", I'll rent a jacket for a day.

Some people have commented that bags bearing a dive manufacturer's name/logo might undesirably attract the attention of thieves, believing valuable scuba gear is inside. Who knows what goes on in the minds of thieves?
Easy to remove.

Easy to remove.

I also suspect the theory is overblown. Thieves are more likely to identify fancy designer luggage than scuba bags as a target. At connecting airports, they probably see more of that than scuba bags. And at dive destinations, MOST bags contain scuba gear, so a thief is no more likely to pick yours than anyone else's. I wouldn't avoid buying a bag that had a scuba manufacturer's name/logo if it otherwise fit my needs, and I wouldn't specifically choose one over a generic bag that fit my needs.

I also suspect the theory is overblown. Thieves are more likely to identify fancy designer luggage than scuba bags as a target. At connecting airports, they probably see more of that than scuba bags. And at dive destinations, MOST bags contain scuba gear, so a thief is no more likely to pick yours than anyone else's. I wouldn't avoid buying a bag that had a scuba manufacturer's name/logo if it otherwise fit my needs, and I wouldn't specifically choose one over a generic bag that fit my needs.

True. I think thieves will open any bags. I knew a Swiss watchmaker who lost a couple $5K watches in his checked in luggage. I don't think he was very smart (and not just for that reason). Thieves will open any bag that they can. It just takes a moment to rummage through. I'm sure after time, they work fast. Rule of thumb is to never have valuables in checked in luggage and never allow carry on out of one's reach. In fact, if seated somewhere, have it locked against something solid, as thieves can work quite fast and disappear with your bags.

This happens rarely:

i fly all over the world diving with a rimowa topas sport trunk

granted, its expensive, but its light, easy to get around landside (square and stable, rolls well), holds my entire kit, and love how it ages with the bumps, scratches and dents

also comes in handy on non dive trips too due to its unique shape

here is a pic of one... not mine... but could as well be

Rimowa-Original-Topas-Trunk_4253.jpg

i fly all over the world diving with a rimowa topas sport trunk

granted, its expensive, but its light, easy to get around landside (square and stable, rolls well), holds my entire kit, and love how it ages with the bumps, scratches and dents

also comes in handy on non dive trips too due to its unique shape

here is a pic of one... not mine... but could as well be

Rimowa-Original-Topas-Trunk_4253.jpg

I suppose if someone has the budget for a $1500-$2000 bag ("trunk"), the airline surcharge for an overweight bag is not a major concern.

There are two issues: Getting past airport security and getting past check-in/boarding. I have no issues with the former. Spread everything out for them to inspect. I do have problems with check-in/boarding. Those people I try to avoid like the plague and I have played all sorts of games, like putting my 25 kg backpack (first stages and ceramics, and electronics) next to someone sleeping (there was hardly anyone at the airport then) while I checked in with my 10 kg bag (which was over and I promised to take stuff out and put in my pockets - helps to speak the same language).

There is the use of cargo pants, photographers vests for stuffing heavy stuff. My wife hates it when I do this, but I don't ask her to carry stuff. I won't every try leaving a bag next to a sleeping person as I could so easily be caught at boarding.

My ancestors did invent the Trojan horse after all! :yeahbaby:
You are my kind of buddy! I'm intending to fly carry on with my full set as well. I too have been known to be quite creative when it comes to the art of pocket stuffing and identifying trustworthy strangers in a crowded airport to leave my big backpack with. Once my gf and I each had a 14-16kg backpack and a 7-8kg handbag (it's all food... we were flying home after visiting families. Our ancestors didnt invent the traditional new year feast for nothing!).

Now things have become harder. Airlines in southeast asia and europe are checking carry ons weight at gates and would make you pay on the spot. Still, I manage to go through, time after time. I never have to wait for checked luggage or dive without my gear!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom