Newbie Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first post-OW class dive...I got all suited up, I’m standing there waiting to jump in, and the Captain (had been chatting with him on the way out about it being my first post-OW dive) asked me how much weight I went with.

I’d forgotten weights:oops:...the guy chuckled, stuffed some soft weights in my pouches, and off the stern I went.

At this point...I’ve lost track of how many times my shore diving “leave home with everything but the kitchen sink” style save-a-dive kit has benefited a buddy. LOTS of people have forgotten something at home at one point or another.

I’ve splashed in without my weight belt.

And on a liveaboard way offshore, a night dive, took my reg out to tell the guy at the gate my I.D. number then did the giant-stride outward and down into the dark water, big splash.
With no reg.
I hadn’t put it back on my mouth.
Brilliant.

So don’t be too hard on yourself ;-)

I provided a spare mask to my instructor who left his mask in his other bag. No spare hood for him, he suffered.

Made myself a packing checklist with sub categories depending on what flavor of diving I will be doing. That checklist has saved me a few times. For years it was just a hand written list, finally typed it out and printed it. A bit more organized now.

Once on a charter in Panama it was just me and the DM as buddies (I was not a DM). Half way down he grabs my octo and we ascend (I had been asking him for tips on DMing, so I thought he was doing a mock out of air drill). At the surface he says "thanks for saving my life". He had jumped in with a near empty tank. The Captain switched them out wrong and the DM didn't check. And he was IMO a very good DM. Things happen.

I have been on the surface waiting for the divers to assemble, deflated then switched from snorkel to my reg at about a half metre deep.

About half the time I get away with it, the other half I get laughed at.

I did a perfectly executed giant stride off The Golden Dubloon dive boat back in the 70's off Catalina Island. When my hand automatically went up to cover my mask and 2nd stage reg mid-stride I realized my entire regulator was safely back in my dive bag on board. Guess I only dreamed I did an air check. Don't recall if @Sam Miller III was on that trip or not. I do recall unrelenting teasing for a long time. :)

I forget things all. the. time. In fact, moving to a city where I have no garage space and my gear lives in my car 24/7 has improved my performance in showing up with everything.

Tomorrow's dive plan is to deliberately forget the drysuit to see how warm the undergarments are on their own (simulating a massive suit flood).

Met this guy at the lake and we buddied up. He was very new at diving and had just been certified. After a giant stryde I realized my mask was gone. I was very embarrassed to have to ask him if he did'nt mind looking for it for me. We have several dive together since and he occasional reminds me of this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom