Newbie Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been on the surface waiting for the divers to assemble, deflated then switched from snorkel to my reg at about a half metre deep.

About half the time I get away with it, the other half I get laughed at.

It's not unusual for me to descend with nothing in my mouth after I rehearse PADI's pre-descent S-O-R-T-E-D acronym with students because I still have two letters to talk through after the R-for-regulator part.

I usually figure it out before I get too deep.

I've gone over the side of the boat without my fins on.

So have I. More than a bit embarrassing and can be difficult to get back to the boat too, lol.

I’ve splashed in without my weight belt.

And on a liveaboard way offshore, a night dive, took my reg out to tell the guy at the gate my I.D. number then did the giant-stride outward and down into the dark water, big splash.
With no reg.
I hadn’t put it back on my mouth.
Brilliant.

So don’t be too hard on yourself ;-)

I've done this too. Did the stride yelling "Wait for me!". I was at 15 feet before thinking to myself, something is different. Arm sweep and the different was resolved, except for me laughing at myself. Still more than a bit surprised that I was that deep before realizing.

one of the worst things to forget on a dive is doing up you dry suit zip

I don't forget too much because I am usually pretty organized and focused and not easily distracted. Also, once my gear is rinsed and dried it all goes back into the same plastic bin ready for the next trip so it takes away a lot of the potential to forget something.

What I have done is jump into the ocean in FL with my mask still on my forehead. Now being from NJ our visibility is not that great so it took me until about 40 ft. to realize that something was not right. I could have done that whole dive with no mask.

My buddy and I met up for a first dive of the season at local beach. I teased him mercilessly when he announced he forgot his fins. Until I realized I had forgotten mine also. Sh*t happens....

Oh my gosh, that's hilarious!

I did that a few months ago,.... and I've been certified for 12 years. (In actuality I grabbed my wetsuit fins instead of my drysuit fins but same effect). I was on a charter recently and one of the guys forgot to check his computer battery prior to and was trying to.find a AA battery.

Shame Shame Shame in my head the whole time......
Once, my buddy showed up to Alexander Springs without his BC. He made a two minute dive holding his tank and just couldn't deal with it. Intrigued, I went back to my truck and got a huge length of 2" nylon strap and used that with a buckle to hold the tank to my chest (under me). We had fun after that and he called me a 'showoff'. :D :D :D Improvise, adapt and overcome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom