Newbie Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup. I learned early on that if anything breaks my concentration during gear setup (ex. Chatting bystander)...stop where I am, go back to the beginning, and repeat the process again.

Yesterday my parents came to watch their grandson get in the quarry and dive with me (he's 14), and they were asking questions. It was hot as hell in a ds and doubles on making my way to shore and in my head I'm like "for the love of god please stop talking". Of course I love my parents but damn...lol.

....but the young ladies walking around in bathing suits have been known to get me off track!

This is me probably until the day I die:) Thankfully my wife is ok with it most of the time...

Yesterday my parents came to watch their grandson get in the quarry and dive with me (he's 14), and they were asking questions. It was hot as hell in a ds and doubles on making my way to shore and in my head I'm like "for the love of god please stop talking". Of course I love my parents but damn...lol.

This is me probably until the day I die:) Thankfully my wife is ok with it most of the time...
YES. Even here in NS in summer people see you walking around geared up and sweating your____ off-- and they start a conversation. THEY are in bathing suits.

YES. Even here in NS in summer people see you walking around geared up and sweating your____ off-- and they start a conversation. THEY are in bathing suits.
Tell them, no hablo inglés. Even better if your parents are the offending party.

I got to my intended dive site on Bonaire (Tolo) and realized I had left ALL my gear back at the resort. The nice thing about Bonaire though is with it`s size, it took me a 20 minute round trip to retrieve it. Plus the fact that I was solo diving I didn`t have any embarrassment! Although for the lesson, I did relate it to others, to their amusement.

[QUOTE="rob.mwpropane,
This is me probably until the day I die:) Thankfully my wife is ok with it most of the time...[/QUOTE]

At 66 it's still the case with me so you could be right! :) Mrs.AD punches me to get me back on track. Probably saved my life a couple of times, who knows? :wink:.

I think my most recent screwup was last summer showing up for a dive with my IDs and 600 PSI of air!:facepalm:

And on a liveaboard way offshore, a night dive, took my reg out to tell the guy at the gate my I.D. number then did the giant-stride outward and down into the dark water, big splash.
With no reg.
I hadn’t put it back on my mouth.
Brilliant.

Yep, I've done this one too. I was talking to my buddy, asking her if she was ready. She said go, so I went. It's a 5 foot drop to the water wearing a set of doubles. So at about 6' underwater, I realized my reg was still in my hand! @nolatom, I thought maybe we would get some kind of award, but then I read @Scuba Lawyer's story. We're not even in the same ballgame! :rofl3:

I got to my intended dive site on Bonaire (Tolo) and realized I had left ALL my gear back at the resort. The nice thing about Bonaire though is with it`s size, it took me a 20 minute round trip to retrieve it. Plus the fact that I was solo diving I didn`t have any embarrassment! Although for the lesson, I did relate it to others, to their amusement.
You got the story wrong. You went out to scout a dive site, found it looked so good you had to go back and get your gear.
Problem solved.

My mom said "are you hot in there??" LITERALLY sweat is pouring off my face with 80lbs of **** on my back, lol... "that looks heavy", and my favorite "is there anything I can do?" she's a GREAT mom, just not a diver. This was the 1st time she's ever seen me dive..

Tbh, the heat doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I just know it's apart of the game and I'll be in soon. The "trying" to not be an ass to someone who's asking questions gets to me a lot. I don't want to be an ass, it's just I'm super focused on what I'm trying to accomplish here and YOU talking is in my way, lol... so it's very short answers and usually some apologies later!

It's much better to talk to me after the dive....I should have a patch or something that says that on my suit!

I was checking my wife's and my luggage to Cozumel once when I realized I had left my neatly packed carry-on with all my dive gear at home. There was no time to retrieve it, so I had to rent that week. At least I had enough sense to put my prescription mask in my backpack.

Since then I've used a checklist. And done my best to avoid really early morning flights.

My better half once realized she forgot to pack her fins after we got on to I90. We figured it'd take at least 40 minutes to get back, pick 'em up, and get going again, and that may be cutting it a little too close to our flight. So she rented fins on that trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom