Newbie Needs advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCDiveGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

I am an OW student and will be finishing up my checkout dives soon. I was looking to purchase a dive computer as my first piece of equipment. The problem is, I'm not sure what I should purchase and how much to spend.

Any advice on what would be a good computer for a new diver? I plan on moving onto AOW and Nitrox in the not too distant future. Also, I think I would rather a wrist mount.

So far I've had my eye on the Suunto Stinger & the Mares Nemo.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

If you aren't looking for air integrated I would highly reccomend the Aeris Atmos 2. Many on the board use them, they are nitrox capable, the manufacturer actively participates on this board, and with your scubaboard discount you can get a great deal on them through scubatoys.com.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Atmos2Wrist

In case you are not aware of the scubaboard discount. Simply call ScubaToys up, tell them what you want to buy, ask them for the scubaboard discount (10% off) and that's it. If you're worried about buying online do a quick search of ScubaToys on this board, you won't be disappointed.

Take a look at Dive Rite's computers, specifically the Duo. It's cheap ($400 new) and can handle gas switching (e.g. changing mixes underwater, very useful if you ever decide to go onto advanced nitrox/decompression procedures).

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/computers/nitekduo.shtml

Also, DR seems to have very good service and they don't do this no-online garabage that Suunto et al do.

If you want something that you can wear as a watch, the Nitek+ is just a Duo in a watch form-factor but I prefer a bigger display of the hockey-puck style.

Some things to think about are simple practical matters like how long does the battery last and can you buy a replacement and change it yourself without special tools. Or can you read the numbers of the display, Some of the dispays use number that are to small for me to see (I'm over 40) and then I dive somethimes in poor viz. Also what about the user interface. Can you rememebr how to use the computer. Some have a logical and easy to use menu system others are just horible. Which is easy to use depends on you as much as the computer so what I would do i down load and read the user manuals. Almost all of the computers have their manuals available on-line in PDF files.

The next thing is the algorithm used by the computer. Do you like RGBM? If so then you need an RGBM computer. Maybe you decide you don't care what algorithm your computeruses but deciding not to care is actually a decision that needs to be informed

I had a Mares and it was okay except reading the display was a challenge for me because the numbers were so thin,I changed to a Stinger and have used it the last 2 years and also wear it as my everyday watch,also switches to nitrox ,no problems .

I have always used a bottom timer and tables, but now that computers are coming down in price I have purchased a computer that fits my needs.

If you are planning on obtaining a nitrox cert then get a computer that will handle that. You'll still be able to use in air mode until then. Also check and see what your local dive shops are authorized retailers for, in the event you need to have a repair done.

I have dove with the Aeris Atmos Elite Hoseless Dive Computer, and it was easy to setup and use, the same with the Aeris Atmos 2.

Here are some links of some reviews:
http://www.scubadiving.com/diving/dive_computers/

http://www.divernet.com/gear/testindx.shtml

Hope I was some help, good luck and dive safely.

UWATEC also makes good computers. The disadvantage being that they are BIG as everyday watch.

http://www.uwatec.com/

I dive with the sherwood wisdom. It does every thing most divers need. Also I can change the bats. My son dives with the aeirs xr1 also can change bats for this one. It does not do nitrox. His is a little more conservetive than mine. I got his for 199.00 while mine cost around 700.00. Both are air integrated. Look also on the internet for reviews on all the computers out there. Some things you will like and others you will not, and that will be on the same computer.

Take a look at the Oceanic lines. Great customer service, user change batteries and the displays/ functions are great.

Now also I must ask...why are you considering a computer 1st??? I'd suggest you buy a good reg set first then look into the computer IMHO. Orrr try to get a package deal.

Back
Top Bottom