Newbie Needs Help!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burnt3d

Reaction score
Hi - I needing help on reg and bc selection. A reg that can handle breathing at 30ft as well as 130ft. One that won't freeze up, 40 degree f water. and one that one kill the budget, I dont mind spending money on good equipment. How about bc's?? I've heard they are junk and I should buy a backplate and wings configuration. Thanks for your help, tim.

I would recommend the atomic b-1 for a reg. Although I haven't had it in 130ft of water it breathes the same at 90 as it does at the surface.

I recommend the US Divers Arctic reg. I have used it in 130 Feet with no difference in breathing than on the surface. It is a cold water reg (our waters are in the 30's during the winter and 40's in the summer). It does need to be serviced once a year or every 50 dives. While I know many people who don't follow that rule, I prefer keeping my life support operating at peak performance!! ages

The Zeagle/Apex regs work great. For a BC, I like the Back Plate/Harness with a Single Tank Adapter. Clean,Simple, can go to doubles in the future w/o having to buy a new BC. Very secure to body.

Eric

My "Better Half" has a USD Arctic with the enviro pack, while I use a Sherwood Blizzard.

Neither have experienced any problems in The Great White North (Canada) in waters down to about 34F.

~SubMariner~

No flame here please.. but I would avoid the us-divers regs at all cost.. I have a friend whos brand new us-divers reg free flowed on him 2 times.. Check out a Scubapro mk2/r190.. its about $244.00 for the setup.. Great performing reg, No freezing..

Burnt,

I would look at the Apeks line of regulators -- they are made in the UK but are now distributed here in the US (and owned) by Sea-Quest/Aqualung, so they are widely available here (don't know about Iowa, though). The TX-50 and TX-100 have both received a lot of favorable comments on this and other boards. They have an environmentally sealed first stage, which makes them tough (water can't get into first stage) and good for near-freezing water temps. Do a search on this site using the work "Apeks" and you will see many comments. I am in the market for a reg and the TX-100 is my first choice at this point.

Hope this is helpful.

Burnt,

large_diver has it all right! Get a Apeks regulator setup and be done with it! They are great regulators and breathe wonderful at any depth.....shoot me an e-mail and see if I can set you up with a new one! If your gonna get techical in the near future then I would get backplate with wings if not I recommend the Zeagle Ranger....Great BC and very comfortable! Good luck and I hope to hear from you.

Dive Safe...

Aardal
:cool:

Another vote for Apeks here!

For me they are the dogs Bollock*.
They are propper cold water regs designed to be used and abused. They are also well designed and easy to service and set-up after a service.

Their design is also one of the more modern designs, and in terms of effectiveness, their dry sealing system is about the best, as it keeps the internals DRY (rather than bathing them in any oil or anything)

There was a very nice article in the last issue of the UK magasine 'Diver' this month, where they were talking about the differences between different cold water anti freezing technology. (basically, Scubapro say that you want as much water flowing over the insides of the first stage as possible, and the rest of the diving world say to keep the water as far away from the workings as possible)

Jon T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom