Newbie Peregrine setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Newly certified OW diver, just bought a Peregrine. I figure it should be all the computer I'll ever need as a rec diver (short of integrated compass and AI). Having said that, any setup suggestions for the bottom line or in general for air mode? Should salinity be changed from EN13319 to salt for ocean dives? Thanks for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Peregrine_Manual-metric.pdf
I did.
Operating InstructionsPage 38Doc� 16001-SI-RevB (2020-07-06)9. System Setup ReferenceSystem Setup contains configuration settings together in a convenient format for updating the configuration before a dive. System setup cannot be accessed during a dive.SalinityWater type (salinity) affects how the measured pressure is converted to depth. Settings:• Fresh• EN13319 (default)• SaltDensity of freshwater and saltwater differ by about 3%. Saltwater, being denser, will display a shallower depth for the same measured pressure versus the Fresh setting.The EN13319 value is between Fresh and Salt. It is from the European CE standard for dive computers, and is the Peregrine’s default value.Note that this setting only affects the depth displayed on the computer and has no impact on decompression calculations which rely on absolute pressure.

Yes.

Yes

Newly certified OW diver, just bought a Peregrine. I figure it should be all the computer I'll ever need as a rec diver (short of integrated compass and AI). Having said that, any setup suggestions for the bottom line or in general for air mode? Should salinity be changed from EN13319 to salt for ocean dives? Thanks for your help.
Well, you are certainly starting off right with the SW.

I’d definitely recommend changing the salinity to better match the water you are diving in. If you forget, no big deal. NDL calculations will still work fine. Depth will be off, though. Or, actually, more off, as there are varying degrees of salinity depending on where you are.

As far as the Bottom Row, try different ones to see what you like. I have a Perdix, so at least one of my options is dedicated for AI info. But, I’d recommend starting with one set as SurfGF. TTS might be another good option.

SurfGF is intended to show where your tissue loading is along the scale if you happened to be instantaneously at the surface, so it can be useful as an indicator to when you should head up.

TTS or Time to Surface is an estimate to how long it will take you to do a direct, safe ascent to the surface including safety and required stops.

Hi @Elder Meat

Yes, set your computer for salt water if your diving is in the ocean, computer will give you the correct depth.

Get nitrox certified and start using the nitrox mode. Nitrox certification can be done entirely online with a brief visit to you LDS. This is arguably the most valuable additional certification after OW

What you place in the 2 positions available in the info row depends on what is important for you to see all the time. Like others, I like SurfGF but I dive at a GF high of 95 and do some light deco. If you are diving medium (40/85) or high (35/75) conservatism, SurfGF has less utility. the default of max depth and time/temp is not bad. Most of the other choices are not terribly important to me. For most of us, the choices are dictated by the types of diving we do.

You have a good computer, best of luck in your diving

Thanks for the advice. Since I plan to stay within NDL SurfGF doesn't sound like it will be as useful to me at first. But TTS sounds like it could be a good safety measure in conjunction with keeping an eye on SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom