Newbie Q & A Haskel AGT-7/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just bought my first booster she's a 1995 Haskel AGT-7/15 to add to our collection of hardware. searching the threads I can't seem to find out all that much about the 7/15 other than it is supposed to be great for boosting gases in the 1500 to 2200psi range.

From what I'm reading in the posts the O2 conversion or cleaning is pretty straight forward. Have any of you used the 7/15? Anything I should be aware of when boosting HE? Most of our blending is done by partial pressure so the booster will be primarily for getting HE to the proper pressure.

How about parts suppliers in the Mid-Atlantic region? For those of you that have overhauled your own units any advice for a novice?

Last edited:
If you are only going to use the booster for He, there is no need to prep it for oxygen service.

If you do decide to clean/prep it for oxygen service, you'll need the high pressure gas seal kits that Haskel specifies for oxygen service. Good practice would be to dedicate it to *just* oxygen service, but in the real world that doesn't happen. Just be careful and don't pump junk gas through it.

Your AGT-7/15 might need a regulator on the (high pressure) inlet gas to avoid interstage stalling.

Americanairworks.com has parts for Haskel's.

If you are only going to use the booster for He, there is no need to prep it for oxygen service.

If you do decide to clean/prep it for oxygen service, you'll need the high pressure gas seal kits that Haskel specifies for oxygen service. Good practice would be to dedicate it to *just* oxygen service, but in the real world that doesn't happen. Just be careful and don't pump junk gas through it.

Your AGT-7/15 might need a regulator on the (high pressure) inlet gas to avoid interstage stalling.

Americanairworks.com has parts for Haskel's.

Dannobee:
I see you overhauled your Haskel. Did you need any special tools for the project? I am keeping everthing O2 clean just incase, most of our mixes use EAN-25 or less with 1400-1800psi of HE.

We have another OW diver in the family- won't be long before he's looking for his Nitrox card and then it will time to play with the mixing stick....

I've rebuilt a few of them now.

My big one is an 8AGD-14. No special tools required, but the parts are huge compared to the little (5.75") Haskel's. The little ones sometimes require special tools to get the high pressure gas check valves apart, depending on the year/model.

Ray over at American said to say Thanks for the referral, he has all the goodies that I need and then some. got a kick out of your website and pics

Are you running a bypass from the gas supply to the discharge side of your booster or are you equalizing the fill tank through the haskel??

Off subject: How did your mixing stick design work with the circular nozzles? Did you end up adding additional baffles? I think that is one slick solution to blending the intake charge....

Ray over at American said to say Thanks for the referral, he has all the goodies that I need and then some. got a kick out of your website and pics

Are you running a bypass from the gas supply to the discharge side of your booster or are you equalizing the fill tank through the haskel??

Off subject: How did your mixing stick design work with the circular nozzles? Did you end up adding additional baffles? I think that is one slick solution to blending the intake charge....

No bypass. Equalize (open the source tank and the tank to be filled), then turn on the booster.

The annular ring mixing stick works quite well. No baffles needed. That pic is actually a trimix stick where air enters through the bottom, then helium is mixed, then oxygen is added, then it's analyzed before it goes into the compressor. There is a big annular ring (4" tube) for the helium and the smaller 2" ring for the oxygen. When I tested it using smoke, the mixture was completely mixed within 6". I could probably refine it more and make the overall length even shorter if I wasn't so lazy. :shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom