Newbie Question about BP/W Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naui_bigfoot

Registered
Reaction score
I am a new diver and a very excited one - this forum has been a treasure chest of info and knowledge for me. I did have a bugging question that I just can't figure out. I'm 6'5" fit/w 36" waist and 36" inseam. Looking at BCD's and lots of guys seem to suggest the DSS X-Long Pattern SS Plate w/wing setup.

Question: Do you guys just slip a resin shoulder harness and waist belt through the plate and put that against your back with the attached wing and tank on it? Isn't that steel uncomfortable on your back?

Couldn't figure out if that was the case or do you buy a soft harness and slide the long plate in it. If so what harness do you get for an X-Long plate.

Possibly a dumb question but I'll gladly ask to learn more :)

I am a new diver and a very excited one - this forum has been a treasure chest of info and knowledge for me. I did have a bugging question that I just can't figure out. I'm 6'5" fit/w 36" waist and 36" inseam. Looking at BCD's and lots of guys seem to suggest the DSS X-Long Pattern SS Plate w/wing setup.

Question: Do you guys just slip a resin shoulder harness and waist belt through the plate and put that against your back with the attached wing and tank on it? Isn't that steel uncomfortable on your back?

Couldn't figure out if that was the case or do you buy a soft harness and slide the long plate in it. If so what harness do you get for an X-Long plate.

Possibly a dumb question but I'll gladly ask to learn more :)

DSS is not in business at this time. Unknown if you would be able to get a DSS plate elsewhere.

Yes, that's basically what we do. No, the steel isn't uncomfortable.

The two BPW setups you're likely to find are a single piece Hogarthian harness that's exactly what it sounds like - one long piece of webbing that weaves through the plate to form your shoulder straps and waist strap. You'd usually thread some type of tubular webbing around the shoulder areas so it doesn't wear on your suit, and add D rings where you need them. Pretty simple, pretty bulletproof. The other setup is more or less anything that isn't one piece, like harnesses with quick release buckles on the shoulder straps.
In both cases, the tank straps are threaded through the wing which is then bolted to the plate.

When I first saw a backplate setup, I saw the two bolts and wingnuts sticking out and thought the same thing: How does that not hurt? But once you have one on, you'll never feel those bolts. And if you have so much as a rashguard between you and the plate, you probably won't tell the difference from a BCD.

You don't really need a casing for the backplate. The only time I've seen it was when that cover was part of the harness system.

Storage Pack can be useful eg to stow a smb.
My collar bone really appreciated when I put webbing(DIY from old wet suit) on the shoulder of the simple harness.

To be honest ive never been bothered by the steel plate, i just use a little gaffer tape around the screws so it wont dig into my wetsuit and tear it up.
You dont really feel it but even if its an issue for you its one easily solvable by getting a simple padding for the back plate.

If you're using an STA and you can feel the bolts, the bolts are too long. If you're not using an STA, the tank straps will slot through the plate. If you want to attach the wing to the plate in a more secure fashion, getting some sex bolts will keep the wing nice and tight to the plate and it won't slip down the tank straps when there's not a tank in them.

The harness and plate by itself isn't uncomfortable at all. I've used mine without anything under it at all. The only reason I don't actually do that is because there's other stuff in the water that I don't want in contact with my bare skin. I'm either in a rash guard, or my drysuit. Neither one are affected by the webbing.

So I purchased a DSS SS Long Backplate but lucked out on getting the DSS webbing and D rings because they are sold out so im on the hunt for used classifieds - would Dive Rite Hog Webbing and D Rings work with a DSS Backplate?

Same question about the wings - if im not able to get a Torus or LCD - would any wings work with DSS SS Plate for warm/cold water?

Just order a length of plain webbing, 2" D ring with slide(plain or serrated) etc from eg. DGX.
Some plates have only two plain holes 11" apart while some eg Dive Rite have couple at the top with an extended elongated slot at the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom