Newbie Question about BP/W Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I purchased a DSS SS Long Backplate but lucked out on getting the DSS webbing and D rings because they are sold out so im on the hunt for used classifieds - would Dive Rite Hog Webbing and D Rings work with a DSS Backplate?

Most plates have slots that are cut to accept 2-inch wide webbing. Any 2-inch wide webbing will work, and any 2-inch wide D rings and slides will work.

Backplates are agnostic to what brand D rings and slides one chooses to use since they do not interface with the backplate...they only interface with the webbing.

-Z

Not all webbing is created equal. In fact, most that is available online and not dive specific is too flexible and floppy. My wife wanted purple webbing. I easily found 4 different versions in the stiffest type I could find. She loved the color and it was soft and supple which she also liked until we started using it. It won't hold it's shape so getting in is a bit more of a pain and it doesn't hold triglides as well so it doesn't hold it's adjustment. Tobin had a webbing that was super stiff. There is no such thing as a stiff webbing in colors other than black. She dives black now.

I recently came across a deep6 backplate setup. The webbing was shiny and slick. It was stiff but I didn't like it at all and it didn't hold adjustment perfectly and the buckles didn't have teeth so they slip. Teeth in the buckle probably will make the shiny webbing look bad but it does have to work so I would not go that route for webbing. I have what I need so I haven't searched out a good source now that Tobin is shut down but someone will come along and offer a good suggestion. I would check out DGX because I find them to stock usable and quality products in general but I have no experience with their webbing, only their parts. I recommend their d-rings, buckles and try-glides and their prices are great.

I have a Dive Rite hogarthian harness. After 2 seasons of use it is still holding up well in terms of stiffness. It is neither overly stiff or soft. It retains its shape, retains adjustment, but is not so stiff that it is a pain to thread through my back plate, tri-glides, and waistbelt buckle.

I think DGX uses a very similar webbing.

My daughter has an Edge-HOG hogarthian harness. It is just ever so slightly less stiff than the Dive Rite webbing.

-Z

I am a new diver and a very excited one - this forum has been a treasure chest of info and knowledge for me. I did have a bugging question that I just can't figure out. I'm 6'5" fit/w 36" waist and 36" inseam.

Following with interest. I'm pretty much same size as you (couple inches bigger around waist). How important is the longer backplate?

I bought one of John and North East Scuba Supply and I love it. I allowed the waist buckle to truly be at your waist and not above your navel. I’ve tried on smaller back plates and it felt like I was wearing a child’s backpack. Not very confidence inspiring as a new diver. If your gonna go backplate imo - get the long. It will last you a lifetime. The finish is perfect on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom