NEWBIE Question - Is it easy to switch the hoses around on the 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveRD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi!

Newly Certified diver here and not really sure if I should fix the hoses on my 1st stage myself, or pay the dive shop. For some reason, the hoses were attached weird and now 3 hoses are stuck on right side, while only the SPG hose is set on left. I cant turn the turret around since the hose guards hit against the knob. New regs and never used, but I want to have it 2 hose going left and 2 hose going right.

It is very easy, but be sure to inspect o-rings on port plugs and connecting hoses and apply a little lubrication to ensure no leaks. Also be very careful not to over tighten, you crack the brass on the 1st stage and you have a very expensive paperweight.

Yes, snug firmly but not overly tight. The seal is from the O-ring, not how tight you make it. Stripping it out is not 'easy', but some people are kind of ham handed. Thread and screw in by hand. Snug up with a wrench. If you can't unscrew it with a hard effort by hand, it should be tight enough. Get a feel for how tight they are when you take them off.

@tbone1004 & @loosenit2 Thank you!

I actually saw a few vids on these. I think I got the tools, wondering though, is it fairly easy to break the 1st stage?

What @fmerkel said above. You really have to overcrank it to break brass, do not apply much muscle and you will be fine. Also remember that the HP and LP ports are different sizes.

What @fmerkel said above. You really have to overcrank it to break brass, do not apply much muscle and you will be fine. Also remember that the HP and LP ports are different sizes.

Oh, thats actually a good point. I may need to check the 1st stage and how stuff are attached now. It could be the port types which is why the hoses are attached weird.

@tbone1004 & @loosenit2 Thank you!

I actually saw a few vids on these. I think I got the tools, wondering though, is it fairly easy to break the 1st stage?

pretty hard to actually break it, just remember that you want to go "sufficiently snug" which is just barely passed finger tight.

On HP and LP, they won't go into each others holes, but the HP ports will be on the body, the LP ports will be on the turret for most regs. Which one do you have?

On HP and LP, they won't go into each others holes, but the HP ports will be on the body, the LP ports will be on the turret for most regs. Which one do you have?[/QUOTE]

I have the Apeks DST 1st Stage. Will need to check it closely when I get home

Something doesn't sound quite right. The DST has 4 mp ports, not quite evenly spaced so they are really two pairs on opposite sides. No opportunity for three on one side. Are you perhaps not orienting your turret the way you prefer as you assemble your gear on the cylinder, and only then find it hard to swivel/adjust? Or are you perhaps assembling with the turret below the HP body, and find your SPG is on the "wrong" side?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom