Newbie question on used regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Martin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My son & I just got OW certified last month. So now we enter the obligatory period of investing in our first round of equipment. Being beginners and trying to be conscious, we are looking at the used market for some of the more expensive items. We each just found 1-year old BCD's... so now the focus is regulators.

I found a 2013 Aqualung Legend regulator set that is at a good price and the seller (original owner) has given me plenty of info and pictures to make me feel comfortable with it. However, should I be worried about a 6-year old device - even if it has been maintained and serviced (documented) and has minimal use? I'm more asking from a technology & relative value perspective. Have things changed much since 2013 when it comes to regulators? Frankly, there's no chance that I would be in the price range for a 2019 Aqualung Legend - I'd be much more entry level (or I'd just keep renting). So am I wrong to feel compelled to look at a higher-end Legend that is 6 years old?

No worries on the age. Just make real sure it’s been taken care of. I have gotten burned on used regs that looked great in pictures but were corroded out badly on the inside and were virtually un serviceable.

Might also consider where you can find service locally, and finding regs where you and your son can have same/similar gear. This makes it easy to keep spare parts, and to help cross check performance between the two.

as long as it can still be serviced it will be good to go. i started out with some reg sets much older than that.

Good advice above.

My Apeks regs are over twenty years old and I've just acquired a Scubapro set (for my pony) that are probably 70's vintage. Servicing is key, I think.

Other than some improvements in materials (???) there has been little real change in regulators since the late 60s, pretty much all the "improvements" have been cosmetic. From a performance standpoint, I wouldn't think twice about buying a 20-30yo reg, let alone a 6yo one. Sure it needs to be maintained but that is a different matter. As long as service/parts are available there is no advantage to newer regs.

Six years old is not old if it's been taken care of, my regular sets are working on ten years now and work the same now as when new. I've got a number of operational vintage regs going back to '62, however I wouldn't suggest you go back that far for a number of reasons we could get into later.

Regulator technology has not made any major improvements in decades, most improvements have been made to improve breathing at a level that a rec diver will never notice. It could be said that the last major improvement was in 1958 when Sherwood Manufacturing modified the piston regulator for underwater use.

A concern might be limiting yourself to regs that can be serviced locally, but there discussions online of excellent service being being done via the mail with reasonable turnaround. It would depend on the availability and quality of local service.

Good luck on your search for regs.

Bob

Not sure If I totally agree that there is “no” difference between ALL older regs and modern offerings. There have been many significant design improvements. Environmental sealed first stages, extra ports with swivels. Balanced second stages with +/- adjusters. Some older first stages were unbalanced as well, so you have to be at least a little educated before buying into the dusty box o gear from your neighborhood pawn shop.

You also have some brands that might be hard or I impossible to get parts and service for.

In the late 80s there were only 2 or 3 regs that received the navy’s top rating for reg performance. Today, there is barely any significant difference in performance from brand A to brand z

Sure a well serviced, 20yr old scubapro, or Poseidon reg, I would dive anywhere. But I would not say that applies to many other brands.

My son & I just got OW certified last month. So now we enter the obligatory period of investing in our first round of equipment. Being beginners and trying to be conscious, we are looking at the used market for some of the more expensive items. We each just found 1-year old BCD's... so now the focus is regulators.

I found a 2013 Aqualung Legend regulator set that is at a good price and the seller (original owner) has given me plenty of info and pictures to make me feel comfortable with it. However, should I be worried about a 6-year old device - even if it has been maintained and serviced (documented) and has minimal use? I'm more asking from a technology & relative value perspective. Have things changed much since 2013 when it comes to regulators? Frankly, there's no chance that I would be in the price range for a 2019 Aqualung Legend - I'd be much more entry level (or I'd just keep renting). So am I wrong to feel compelled to look at a higher-end Legend that is 6 years old?
Regarding the age of the regulator design, the Legend has had two generations of design, no dramatic differences between them.
The transition from 1st generation to 2nd generation was in 2012, so if this one was bought in 2013 I suppose it could be either one. So as concerns currency of design, it is either exactly the same as the current Legend, or pretty darn close if older.

If it can still be serviced go for it. It's a great regulator.
My first regulator was a hand-me-down Oceanic that was even older than what you describe. I love it and still have it. Today I dive mostly with an Aqua Lung Legend LX. I think you'll be very happy with your purchase and I can't really add to this anymore than @JackD342 did. He was spot on.

Happy Diving!

Six years old? Well, I dive these:

181122-Superior, Double, Lagun, Thanksgiving-019.JPG

I also use them Ice Diving....

A quality regulator is not age dependent. Some may not have parts available, so that can be a limiting factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom