Newbie question: PADI or NAUI, does it matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, I was just trying to refer the dude to a local instructor with a good mentality. You just try to simplify that by saying GUE/DIR so it's easier for the guy to google and understand, and it leads to this silliness.
It’s like saying Diesel/ Petrol.

+1 re Robert Lawrence at Depth Perceptions in Tampa. He taught me open water/Nitrox. Extremely thorough and experienced instructor and diver. His attitude is "a C card is not the goal; learning to dive safely and with situational awareness is". He spent a lot of time on trim and buoyancy. He will dive with you after the class is over and really wants to teach in a way that keeps people engaged after certification. Highly recommended!
Thanks! Will check him out!
:thumb:

What are they??

They are not certifying agencies...they are groups of divers that believe in a way or method to do things. In a sense, I guess one could call them a "religion" or maybe dive club in a manner of speaking. DIR stands for "doing it right"...GUE is "Global Underwater Explorers"

Edit: it appears I am not correct regarding GUE...they do certify divers.

Last edited:
They are not certifying agencies...they are groups of divers that believe in a way or method to do things. In a sense, I guess one could call them a "religion" or maybe dive club in a manner of speaking. DIR stands for "doing it right"...GUE is "Global Underwater Explorers"

GUE does certify divers, even new divers.

I agree with CuzzA but there are more PADI shops than Naui if that matters..I could be wrong but I think PADI costs more also.

One small advantage to PADI for travel - most PADI shops can access your records online - say you forget/lose your c-card. Not that Naui can't but the pool is smaller. I've been to some pretty well known dive locations that don't have a Naui shop on the island. PADI also has their own dive travel agency.

I'm SSI. Years ago I did a move that to the PADI DM on a boat meant I was in trouble. I didn't know their OK sign so they sent a boat after me till he realized there was no problem. Hey it was a free ride back...

I'm in the same boat as the OP (going back and forth on PADI vs. NAUI). NAUI in my area...I can get the OW and Nitrox certification (combined) for less than the price of PADI OW certification (alone).

From talking with the NAUI instructor a couple times, I think I'm leaning towards going with him. The class sizes are a bit smaller and his schedule is more flexible. We'll see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom