Newbie Weight Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Booyakasha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In a pool I recently dove with a friend who is an instructor to check out a new back inflate BC. We spent a lot of time trying to get my weight down perfectly. I am 5'8" 190 33 in waist. standard steel tank, 3mm shortie. After many tries I felt most comfortable with 4lbs of lead. I could hover for as long as I needed in any postion that I wanted, fin pivot easily. I almost felt like I could use even less weight because at the beginning of the dive I went with no lead and was still very comfortable but as the dive progressed I felt better with 4lbs when the tank got under 1000. My questions is does this seem right? It seems light to what other people around my size use.

B.

In fresh water with a steel cylinder and that little exposure protection, 4 to 6 lbs is about right.

Be aware that when you go to the open ocean and you add more neoprene by wearing a full suit, you will ned more weight to compansate for the added buoyancy of the suit and the salt water.

I would agree with muddiver. I can dive in a shorty with an AL80 and only use a few pounds so with a steel tank I would say you dont need too much wieght.

you will need about 4 lbs more in saltwater

Never compare what you need as weight when diving to others. You are only unto yourself.

Properly weighted, you should be just very slightly negatively buoyant at 15' with a tank that still has approximately 500 psi of gas remaining.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom