Newby computer, what to get?

So which simply computer

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Must_dash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife has started diving and I want to get her a basic computer, and I mean non tech, not complicated, no AI, multiple gases not needed. She really is not a computer person and needs a simple uncomplicated display and simple to use. Oh and not being 21 anymore it needs a larger font size.
I'm thinking of the Suunto Zoop Novo, Aqualung I100, Mares Puck or Mares Quad. Or anything else that gets the popular vote could creeep into the list.

Thanks
Tom

What's your budget?

Despite being a computer that moves seamlessly to Tec dving, the Shearwater Perdix fits your requirements, and exceeds your request for an uncomplicated, easy to read display. Just because the other 'stuff' is there, you don't have to use it.

Confession: I have no idea what is involved in getting a Perdix to Italy

Perdix is cool, I have one and know exacty what you mean. Bought mine in Europe with all taxes paid and cheaper than USA. I'd buy her one except for the $$$$. She wants the computer equivilant of a Timex or Swatch watch

I would consider the AL i300c. It has a back lit screen which is of a great help in dark or night diving conditions.

The AL computers are far superior to the Mares or Suunto computers.

I have a Cressi Giotto and I like it. Made in Italy..... Not something I'd wear around like a regular wrist watch though. Not overly complicated, but does multiple gasses. Battery is easy for a recreational user to change. Back light could be a bit brighter, but I don't dive in the dark that often.

Hi @Must_dash

What settings do you use on your Perdix? Maybe it would be a good idea if your wife's computer NDL was somewhere around yours, so you would have a general idea of where you both are.

If you run 40/85 or so, PZ+/Aqua Lung would work pretty well. If you dive 45/95 or so, you may want to go with DSAT/Oceanic, most commonly. Mares is probably a bit more conservative than 40/85, Suunto is likely not far off unless you are penalized on repetitive dives.

Hi @Must_dash

What settings do you use on your Perdix? Maybe it would be a good idea if your wife's computer NDL was somewhere around yours, so you would have a general idea of where you both are.

If you run 40/85 or so, PZ+/Aqua Lung would work pretty well. If you dive 45/95 or so, you may want to go with DSAT/Oceanic, most commonly. Mares is probably a bit more conservative than 40/85, Suunto is likely not far off unless you are penalized on repetitive dives.
We are both very different divers. She loves shallow and non adventurous stuff, if we're together then it's generally air rather than NDL. On my own I'm down deeper with a different buddy.

Perdix is still new toy. Moved from a watch styleas I was struggling to read the smaller numbers. (tried the lens inserts and they didn't work for me.) So ungraded to the ful house toy. Loving the feel of it so far, but haven't really investigated the deco settings.

I have a mares quad and couldn’t be happier. My main deciding factor was the screen size. My eyes are fine and I can read any screen but I had zero intent to wear my dc as a watch. With that being said I had no reason to look at puck style computers. Why limit my screen when I don’t have to. The quad offered the largest screen by far with the most information provided on one screen without cycling through menus. The buttons are large and easy to use. Plus you have 4 of them. Makes running through the sub menus super easy. It is back lit but it’s nothing special like most of the computers in this price and class range. If your wife wants a basic computer that will serve all her needs while be extremely easy to read and cost efficient your not going to find anything better than the quad. You can get smaller a smaller puck style sure but that doesn’t seem to be what she needs. I paid $270 for mine new about a year ago. I’ve now seen it sold for even cheaper than that. I know you mentioned she doesn’t need multi gas but it does have that option as well. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ps I also added the screen protector to mine to save the screen from scratch’s

Attachments

• 8BC91EB6-33D1-4B4B-B51E-8B63626AA093.jpeg
    8BC91EB6-33D1-4B4B-B51E-8B63626AA093.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 5CDB3B9C-3915-4A2B-A238-111DF66F76F2.jpeg
    5CDB3B9C-3915-4A2B-A238-111DF66F76F2.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 12E85FEE-248A-4F3A-8A97-1640E1726166.jpeg
    12E85FEE-248A-4F3A-8A97-1640E1726166.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 2D3ADBA5-4CC3-4651-ABD1-069735781078.jpeg
    2D3ADBA5-4CC3-4651-ABD1-069735781078.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 107
Since you don't dive together, and she stays shallow, I would go with the Zoop. She won't be bothered by its conservative profile. Buy it used. You will be able to sell it for the same price if she decides to go with a different computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom