Newer, but better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been sporting my conshelf and older US Diver regulators for awhile now and have grown very attached to them. They work every time, they are not tempermental, and are extremely simple in design. I work my Conshelf SE2 very hard usally in very cold Maine waters. It has never failed on me.

When I look at all the the new regulators that come out every year I sometimes wonder why there is a need for them when the old stuff works just as good? I will submit that I havnt used any of the newer more expensive regulators. Am I missing out on a "breathing paradise" or is my SE2 as good as your bling-bling Atmos?

Oh, this is a good question. There are a lot of divers here that use vintage gear as well as older regs and like them a lot. I still have my first set of regs but don't use them anymore. I'm looking forward to the replies.

I think that you are in a different league than I am. Your training & experience probably exceeds most recreational divers. You don't need the comfort of the bling that I do. I can only go by the ratings. Your equipment is good for you and mine is good for me. Good Luck!

Nobody wants to defend their regs eh?......Well I think your new regs suck....:popcorn:

Nice, how do you like the Mk 5?

While there has been some finessing of designs in recent decades nothing drastic has changed in terms of performance.

For a diver who is at ease in the water doing recreational dives much of the superiority of certain regulators amounts to a rounding error.

Pete

mmadiver,

Keep using your SE2. It is a plastic second version of the venerable Conshelf XIV. Still used the the Navy and I believe rated to 38F at 198', or something like that. Good enough for working Navy boys.....

I do mostly warm water these days, and own several Aqualng Titan LX, the modern version with only one pre-dive / dive lever on hte second stage. Supposedly an Apeks "balanced" design second stage and they have been little workhorses all over the world to over 150' pushing cameras around in front of this old man.

Simple balanced diaphraghm 1st stages like your SE2, Conshelf XIV and Titan LX stay in tune pretty long, too.

I'd say keep it :)

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

mmadiver:
I've been sporting my conshelf and older US Diver regulators for awhile now and have grown very attached to them. They work every time, they are not tempermental, and are extremely simple in design. I work my Conshelf SE2 very hard usally in very cold Maine waters. It has never failed on me.

When I look at all the the new regulators that come out every year I sometimes wonder why there is a need for them when the old stuff works just as good? I will submit that I havnt used any of the newer more expensive regulators. Am I missing out on a "breathing paradise" or is my SE2 as good as your bling-bling Atmos?

once tried against the new legend or atomic and you'll have the answer to your question.

Of course it also depends on the requirements.

The model A Ford can get you to the gas station as well as a 2007 Hummer.

I sure see more Hummers than model A's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom