Newest ramblings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My lds does the last bit and it has seemed to help them a ton with business. They usually set up 3 dive weekends a month. I'm in their system, so I usually get a call on the 1st with a heads up for that month's planned dive dates (they do this for all of their certified students). One on lake Michigan, which is pay to play of course, and 2 weekends at the local quarry. The quarry events are geared as a social deal. Free to come dive with the shop, they usually have a couple grills going, and only ask that you bring something to toss in if you want to eat (I have become the unofficial beer guy). So, even though they aren't making money on the specific dives, they're building a community. They're giving divers who might not have a steady buddy a chance to come out and dive with a bunch of people, and the divers get the benefit of using the certs we worked for somewhere aside from the once a year in Florida or Coz.

Where it benefits the shop is that now every time I go in, a bunch of those divers who were out on the weekend are usually in there buying something or at least shooting the breeze. I've found myself buying all of my little odds and ends there instead of online, even if it is a couple bucks more. And now they've had to hire on more shop staff just to handle all of us goons looking for somewhere to train and spend money.

My lds does the last bit and it has seemed to help them a ton with business. They usually set up 3 dive weekends a month. I'm in their system, so I usually get a call on the 1st with a heads up for that month's planned dive dates (they do this for all of their certified students). One on lake Michigan, which is pay to play of course, and 2 weekends at the local quarry. The quarry events are geared as a social deal. Free to come dive with the shop, they usually have a couple grills going, and only ask that you bring something to toss in if you want to eat (I have become the unofficial beer guy). So, even though they aren't making money on the specific dives, they're building a community. They're giving divers who might not have a steady buddy a chance to come out and dive with a bunch of people, and the divers get the benefit of using the certs we worked for somewhere aside from the once a year in Florida or Coz.

Where it benefits the shop is that now every time I go in, a bunch of those divers who were out on the weekend are usually in there buying something or at least shooting the breeze. I've found myself buying all of my little odds and ends there instead of online, even if it is a couple bucks more. And now they've had to hire on more shop staff just to handle all of us goons looking for somewhere to train and spend money.
sounds like a great shop that get's it.

Share their name, they deserve more customers

sounds like a great shop that get's it.

Share their name, they deserve more customers

Sure thing! Its Scuba Emporium in Orland Park, IL. They've still got a long way to go on the internet front, but some really good people over there.

Service: shops should be able to charge a reasonable amount for servicing your gear. If you buy components online, and are uncomfortable with assembling them yourself, the shop should be able to charge you a reasonable amount for their labor to assemble them.
Love my local shop and they seem alright with me. I keep buying higher-end used regulators and having them rebuild/service them. Win-Win situation so far; I get better quality gear than I can afford new off the shelf and they get a stream of income. Oh, they also let me play with the tools!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom