Newly certified, looking for gear... abroad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmrqs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

Just got certified (Open Water + Nitrox) and eager to get my own gear! :D
I’ve made a shortlist of what I would like and been comparing prices here in the US... until I stumbled on the prices in Europe (be it in GBP or EUR) and realized they were half the price, for instance on Scubapro regs.

Scubapro being a US company, I thought the prices would be more expensive (or at least the same) abroad.

Am I missing something or should I actually be getting my gear overseas?

Cheers!

Get hooked on Leisure Pro in Manhattan. Their web site has great daily holiday deals going on...support your local economy and city:)

And congrats on your C card.

How much would shipping and duty cost? Often they work that so I wind up buying stuff (not scuba specifically) here in Canada at a much higher cost than in the U.S. Then I can say "I support local businesses" (couldn't really care less about that to be honest).

Get hooked on Leisure Pro in Manhattan. Their web site has great daily holiday deals going on...support your local economy and city:)

And congrats on your C card.

Thank you!
I actually already bought gear at LeisurePro - my mask, snorkel and fins. :)

But the price difference is significant, it will be hundreds and hundreds of $ in the end.

How much would shipping and duty cost? Often they work that so I wind up buying stuff (not scuba specifically) here in Canada at a much higher cost than in the U.S. Then I can say "I support local businesses" (couldn't really care less about that to be honest).

Just looking at the first stage and second stage (no octopus), it’s $560 here vs $280 in the UK (shipping included)... and I doubt I would pay that much in taxes. So probably looking at $200 in savings just on this. :eek:

And I will need quite a few more items, octo, gauge, BCD, ... the difference will be significant in the end.

Just can’t understand how the prices can be that different on a US brand.

Make sure you add shipping costs and import taxes though. Quite often the final cost ends up being the same as buying in the US...

Warranty may not be valid on this side of the pond. Some places might not ship to the US.

Warranty may not be valid on this side of the pond. Some places might not ship to the US.

The warranty is a good call out, didn’t think about that, thank you!

Make sure you add shipping costs and import taxes though. Quite often the final cost ends up being the same as buying in the US...

Thank you!
I responded to @TMHeimer above but it seems my response is pending moderation approval.

I was saying that for the MK11 + C370, with shipping costs, it’s pretty much exactly half price ($280) vs the price in NYC with taxes ($560).
I expect to have to pay customs on this but it can’t imagine it would get to $100, so that’s probably a $200 difference in the end.

And it’s not just one store, multiple stores have these low prices... so strange!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom