Newly minted PADI DM needs job! What should I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eth727

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay I should probably put this in the classified section but wasn't sure. I just became a DM. I want a job. I heard that LDS's will only hire a DM if they are OWSI. I also don't have EFR instructor. How can I get a job?

I'm just an AOW diver but what do think you could offer a future employer?
(there's no need for you to reply but think about it.)

I'm safe,professional and helpful diver with 70+ dives. I have excellent communication skills,know CPR & 1st aid. I have a VW bus so I've a vehicle with cargo capacity.

you and 6000 other people. Except for the VW bus part, that sets you apart.

Seems the consensus on SB is your best bet is with the LDS that certified you. Where I live it's the only choice.

Go through to IDC Staff Instructor. That should help.

Get a CPR/FA/AED/O2 instructor cert. does not matter with who. If you don;t plan on going to instructor take a diesel mechanics course, get your 100 ton masters license, learn how to service compressors, and fix regulators. Maybe as a DM you'll get a job outside of helping instructors for maybe tips, air fills, and a sandwich (bologna & cheese most likely). If your LDs led you to believe that getting a DM cert would open up new worlds to you they may have stretched the truth. And you paid them to do it.

Why did you become a DM? I hope it was not because they told you that you'd be a great one as you handed them a check. If they thought you would be that great you'd have bought your books and they would have subsidized your tuition or charged a token amount. "You'd be a great DM!" is a well used and well planned line that PT Barnum is smiling at all the time.

Jim, i have everything you just listed, got a job for me? I'll be right up. :)
scratch that, i can't work on compressors.

McDonald’s Careers
We believe the best people in the world work right here. And we believe you could be one of them. You’ve got enthusiasm, responsibility and drive. We’ve got flexible schedules, benefits and jobs that can turn into satisfying careers. It’s a perfect match.

Sorry had to do it! :eyebrow: Good luck with your job search.

Okay I should probably put this in the classified section but wasn't sure. I just became a DM. I want a job. I heard that LDS's will only hire a DM if they are OWSI. I also don't have EFR instructor. How can I get a job?

Learn how to fix diesel engines and get a job as a mechanic. Then dive when and where you want.

You're competing for a DM job with pretty much everybody who likes to dive. Many of them don't need to make any money doing it, which tends to keep the pay down somewhere around "$0".

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom