Newly minted PADI Self-Reliant/Solo Diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should have redundant buoyancy sufficient to get you safely to the surface. As was mentioned above drysuit, lift bag, or double bladder wing are most common. You should practice with these as part of your normal diving so you can employ them when needed.

You should have redundant buoyancy sufficient to get you safely to the surface. As was mentioned above drysuit, lift bag, or double bladder wing are most common. You should practice with these as part of your normal diving so you can employ them when needed.

Hey Michael,

I think your opinion has some validity--depending on the equipment used and the dive profile.

Scenario:
- Dive boat anchored in 45' feet of water
- dive boat in a sheltered cove on the lee side of the island
- 80+ degree water
- positively buoyant AL 80 tank (when empty)
- dive plan: explore every nook and cranny under and in the direct vicinity of the boat.
- using less than 8 lbs of lead with a 1/2 mill wet suit.
- the ability to quickly remove your wait belt or remove/ditch sinkers from your BC
- no current
- 80' plus vis

With the above listed scenario, do you think your blanket admonition regarding a redundant buoyancy device is still valid?

I don't.

However, I do respect your opinion and I would not fault you one bit if you dived the above profile with doubles, trimix, oxygen for deco, and redundant buoyancy. It would be a good dive for an equipment check/practice...I guess.

Thanks,

markm

Mark,

You can scenario yourself out of pretty much everything on the list of "required" items for solo diving if you want. Dive shallow enough and you probably don't need that pony right? Or the mask? You could be in an area which prohibits boat traffic so you probably don't need that spool and SMB right?

Feel free to disregard the suggestion.

Mike

Mark:

The issue of whether, when and in what way to 'cut corners' (if at all) regarding formal solo diving course recommendations, and beyond that whatever additional redundancy equipment someone might suggest (e.g.: double bladder or other redundant buoyancy) is very much a personal one.

My advise on the subject is for a given issue, think it through at some length. What scenarios might this be a game changer in? If I need it and don't have it, how big of a problem is that apt to be? The conditions under which you dive and the gear you use play a role of course.

You're an adult, a seasoned diver with over 100 dives and you've had the formal education to bring the issues to your attention.

Richard.

P.S.: I realize redundant buoyancy isn't required by the class, and I don't use it myself.

Hey drrich,

I was in a 7 mil with a 7 mil hood and 5 mm gloves. I am not "naturally" insulated and I seem to have lost thermal toughness in my old age (53). Some things don't work as well at 53 as they did at 23.

Thanks for the nice reply.

markm
BCD Failure at depth especially much greater than 18m where neoprene compression of a thick 7mm wetsuit can leave you with roughly half the buoyancy at the surface, last resort if you cannot swim the now negatively buoyant rig up is to ditch the weight belt. Unfortunately as a result, you may now rocket to the surface in an uncontrolled ascent especially when that thick wetsuit comes shallow & uncompresses. (note: if you have individual weight pockets on a belt, you can try to selectively ditch a few lead units at a time and attempt to attain & control a buoyant ascent).

Therefore if you plan to go deep Solo in a thick 5 to 7mm wetsuit, a good safeguard is to bring a Liftbag which can provide back-up auxiliary buoyancy when deployed, inflated & clipped-off to your rig, in case of a primary BCD/Wing failure.

It is my understanding that some divers do not consider a lift bag redundant bouyancy. Why not?

Can someone explain to me step by step(1,2,3...) How you would use a lift bag to bring yourself up from say 80ft?

Thanks Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is my understanding that some divers do not consider a lift bag redundant bouyancy. Why not?

Can someone explain to me step by step(1,2,3...) How you would use a lift bag to bring yourself up from say 80ft?

Thanks Mick

Closed circuit Liftbag -simply deploy, clip-off to BCD shoulder D-ring and inflate. Control ascent by operating dump valve.

Lift Bags | Halcyon

Closed circuit Liftbag -simply deploy, clip-off to BCD shoulder D-ring and inflate. Control ascent by operating dump valve.

Lift Bags | Halcyon
I would have been more likely to respond: Send up liftbag on reel line and use the line for an ascent. Would that be an unsafe plan?

I would have been more likely to respond: Send up liftbag on reel line and use the line for an ascent. Would that be an unsafe plan?

I would consider it a VERY UNSAFE PLAN! You have now sent your redundant bouyancy device to the surface...without YOU! You may trust that little piece of braided string on your reel/spool, you may even trust your knot...I WOULD NOT!
Your line breaks, gets cut, you get entangled...now what? Correct that problem, you have still a bouyancy problem...deploy your back up bouyancy device...oh wait...

To my original question, why do so many instructors not consider a lift bag redundant bouyancy? Is it because clipping a bag to you could easily lead to an uncontrolled ascent? I've taken many classes, but have had not instructor recommend this or actually teach it.

Back
Top Bottom