Newly minted PADI Self-Reliant/Solo Diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark,

You can scenario yourself out of pretty much everything on the list of "required" items for solo diving if you want. Dive shallow enough and you probably don't need that pony right? Or the mask? You could be in an area which prohibits boat traffic so you probably don't need that spool and SMB right?

Feel free to disregard the suggestion.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your response and I have learned a lot from yourself and the other techies who posted on this thread.

Remember this, you can scenario yourself into taking every piece of dive gear on your dive and have the nuclear attack sub Dallas standing by with a contingent of Seal Team Six Operators geared up and ready to rescue you from your 50' dive in 80 degree water. Hey man, where does it end?

I am not a techy. I don't wear 7 mm wetsuits in 80+ degree water and I have never strapped on a rig that is so grossly negative at the surface that it requires an inflated BC to create neutral buoyancy--at the surface! I have never solo dived below 60 feet. I don't have any intentions to do "personal best" dives while solo. My BC is empty on initial decent and empty on final ascent.

SDI and PADI do not require training in redundant buoyancy systems for this certification, nor do they require multiple wings or a lift bag. I think they don't require it because it is a recreational diving cert, and not a tech diving cert.

On another thread, a poster received similar constructive criticism regarding another issue. His response was to analogize that there are car enthusiasts who know every aspect about racing their cars and others who just like to go for a Sunday drive (paraphrased).

I like to go for a Sunday drive in relatively shallow water and flat conditions for no more than an hour per dive while adhering to NO staged decompression profiles. I like to dive a little, chit chat with fellow divers and glass the horizon while on a surface interval, and after diving I like to eat a pelagic seafood dinner accompanied by my favorite adult beverage. Life just doesn't get any better than that! A pig in hog heaven!!!!

I am not a techie. It is not for me. I will probably never dive overhead environments. I will, hopefully, never do staged decompression. I know my limitations.

I have enjoyed the conversation and I enjoy reading about techie stuff--it is very interesting.

markm

Last edited:
I think training in being self reliant is important, but keep in mind that many dive ops do not recognize solo training as a valid basis for allowing solo diving under their watch, and some do not consider the PADI self-reliant diver course to be acceptable. I've been diving largely solo since 1961-62 (mostly due to only one set of gear to share among us back then) and have thousands of logged solo dives but am usually told I must dive with a buddy when I travel. In areas that are new to me, I generally prefer that anyway.

I think training in being self reliant is important, but keep in mind that many dive ops do not recognize solo training as a valid basis for allowing solo diving under their watch, and some do not consider the PADI self-reliant diver course to be acceptable. I've been diving largely solo since 1961-62 (mostly due to only one set of gear to share among us back then) and have thousands of logged solo dives but am usually told I must dive with a buddy when I travel. In areas that are new to me, I generally prefer that anyway.

Hey drbill,

I think your opinion is right-on.

I tried to get the SDI Solo cert, but the logistics of travelling to SoCal or Florida made it cost prohibitive. I settled on the PADI course; however, my instructor Rick is top notch. A diver's diver. I did not compromise on the shop or the instructor--top shelf all the way.

If 40% of dive operations allow me some leeway when diving because of the Self-Reliant cert, I will be very happy.

My expectations are not very high--hopefully, the dive industry will meet that low standard.

If I only have to spend 2 days proving that I am not a Muppet diver instead of 3 days, I will be very happy. If I can dive intermediate to advanced dive spots on the 3rd day, with a guide or solo (depending on the site of course), again, I will be happy.

On our last dive adventure to St. Croix, we had to prove ourselves to a committee of DMs (3). Each day we dove with another DM who assumed we were muppets at the beginning of the day. Statements from DMs were these: "The two of you are totally comfortable in the water." "You both use less air than I did, and I dive everyday." "Mark, how did your BC work on that last dive?" My response: "I didn't use it, so I don't know." DM's response: "Your BC inflator hose was disconnected." My response: "My buddy and I just failed the equipment checklist procedure." "OOPs!, manual inflation is a pain, good thing I did not need it." And, "good thing we cross-trained before our vacation, being in shape and having a large lung capacity really makes diving easier."

Meanwhile, the weather changed and we missed the opportunity to dive Ham's Bluff and West End Wrecks. We did dive 8 of the 10 sites that we requested. 80% is not bad. The dive shop was given references from other operators we had previously dived with on St. Croix. Still did not help.

I am not expecting miracles. Marginal improvements will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again drbill,

markm

Back
Top Bottom