NEX-5R Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seascaper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Folks,
I bought a SONY NEX-5R camera a good few years ago. I like it fine (though the pics can be dark...) but the newer versions have so many more bells & whistles, so I'm loath to throw all manner of money at a housing if I'm thinking of replacing sooner rather than later.
However, as an older camera the price of housings seems to have come down since I first looked.

Q1: the "R" vs "N" vs other versions of this camera- do they make a difference in the housing fit?

Q2: Suggestions/recommendations on make/brand etc.? I see the Polaroid is only USD $100 and change on Amazon, which suits me nicely. That Polaroid reputedly fits the "N" version, though no mention of the "R"

I use this thing for work so needs to sit between 20' and 50' for a day. I'd also to trust it down to 100' as an all-rounder, though.
Smaller is also better for me- best/perfect is to fit in a pocket.
This isn't for professional photo-work, mainly notes and monitoring. Currently I'm working with a Panasonic "tough" which takes great shots, has little/no distortion and is teeny-tiny, but it gets finicky at 20' depth and I don't trust it for durations underwater.

Thanks,
Andrew

---------- Post added November 25th, 2015 at 09:44 AM ----------

skulking around Amazon there seems to be 3 or 4 different brands with near-identical models for about $130-$150:
black plastic front, frosted plastic back, palm clip to side, stainless clip at top (worrisome) and 2x little directors for the flash. Should that worry me, considering that they're (likely) going to all come from the same generic-factory in China?
All for the "N" model... so I may be out of luck regardless.

---------- Post added November 25th, 2015 at 10:51 AM ----------

PS: found the difference... needs to be the R as it's got a set of function controls that the N doesn't have/suffer.
In a perfect world there'd be a housing that's that much tinier without consideration of the flash (removable), but no luck yet.
Andrew

Last edited:
There is a big difference between the N and R version, you will need the R version of the housing. I have bought the Meikon 5R/5T housing for it from ali-express and also the fisheye conversion lens. They work fine, the buttons on the housing usually stop working if i go deeper then 23 meters. It is extremely bouant, but i use it with a couple of Inon-flashes so for me that is not a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom