Next ?... Lenses for Lembeh and Bangka... do I have what I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
1 week Lembeh, 1 week Bangka.

I shoot an Oly EMD EM-5 in the Oly housing. Note that I have to buy new strobes already as the old Z240s crapped out. So not like I want to spend the money. But don't want to show up wishing I had another lens (common with my trips). 2X crop factor so focal lengths doubled
I have:
14-42 kit lens
60 mm macro, +7 wet diopter
9-18 mm.

Have the EP-01 flat port and the Zen 9-18 dome

I am sure it is user error, but I have not been all that impressed with the 9-18 especially wide. The 100% crop on the 4/3 doesn't help, and I do use a +2 diopter to try to get sharper corners. Would a different dome change this performance at all (assuming I stay my usual piker photography self)?

Only additions / substitutions I could think of are
8mm FE (which requires a new port I would assume)
30 mm macro (not sure if requires a new port)

I guess the question is really for Bangka as I suspect that while there might be a wider lens opportunity at Lembeh its going to be 90% 60 mm macro

Thanks

I dont know where you're going with a 30mm macro. That said I find a +7 diopter a weak usage while youll need something like +20 wetlens for super macro (nauticam SMC1 being the best for onvenience of use as well as free of aberrations).
For Bangka you'll need something like a Fisheye when going to Sahaung i guess a 8mm does the job (I'm using a 10-17 FE lens with a DX SLR).

For macro I use a 60mm plus 2 +7 diopter that I can stack individually. When I use both I get a bit frustrated with the razor thin depth of field sometimes, and then sometimes I like the bokeh effect it allows me. Yes Lembeh is going to be mostly macro, but there can be some nice close focus wide angle opportunities, especially if you have a guide that can model for you.

For wide angle your 9-18 should do the job just fine.

I'm using OMD em-5 and em-1 in Nauticam housing. For macro I'm mostly happy with 60mm + aquako IV except with giant frogfish or anything bigger than my fist.
Forum WA, I rely on pany 7-14mm. much better(wider and sharper) than oly 9-18mm.
Just bought oly m.zuiko 8mm FE, seem very nice lens, so far for topsite. I don't think I will use for UWP until end of this year.

Back
Top Bottom