Next NASA Chief Nominee Doesn’t Believe in Climate Change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not say we are all going to die. But it is good that you believe some scientific data that suggests climate change is not as gloomy as some unidentified people think. I hope I never meet them they sound very sad people.
Are we to save ourselves from ourselves, despite ourselves? Or do we give up and face the failure of the ecosystem to support the current population levels and begin the war that returns us to equilibrium? It will not be a war between nations like we have had in the past. It will be a war of resources, within nations, between people. The vast majority will lose. They have to.

You're right you didn't say we would all die, just almost all of us would die....

As has been said by many different individuals on this thread as well as others, the CC people need a better messenger. I am not a climate scientist and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but human beings don't respond well to being called names. Additionally I think we all know that as soon as one party starts with derogatory labels they lose credibility to all those paying attention. I really am on the fence with this issue, but the language and tone of the AGW proponents really reminds me of a preacher in a bad movie screaming you sinners are all gonna burn in Hell! Isn't one of the major digs at Mr. Trump that he calls people names? Not sure why it is so imperative that the whole world agrees with your conclusions, but to many people your hysterical delivery has the same effect as missionaries insisting that everyone must accept their god.

I also am surprised that you think that a significant portion of the worlds population has the financial resources to change the impact they have on the planet even if they wanted to. In a previous post you used "pickup" as a veiled pejorative, I am assume as a shot at Trump supporters (just my guess, could be wrong). Do you know what people do with PU trucks, its called work. These people don't have the option of hauling sheetrock on top of their Prius, what are you going to offer them in this new zero emission world order? You can't yell burn it all down without a plan to replace it or no one is gonna listen.

As has been said by many different individuals on this thread as well as others, the CC people need a better messenger.
Yeah, rhetoric and delivery is everything. Facts and best available data are secondary (or at best tertiary).

Yeah, rhetoric and delivery is everything. Facts and best available data are secondary (or at best tertiary).
Only if you want people to listen to your facts and info. It may be an unpleasant reality but humans aren't logical when making trust decisions. And so because most people myself included don't have the training or experience to really dig into the data to make thier own conclusions it comes down to trust. In that arena hysteria and predictions that didn't pan out have hurt the acceptance of climate change as a problem the average person needs to concern themselves with.

I also am surprised that you think that a significant portion of the worlds population has the financial resources to change the impact they have on the planet even if they wanted to. In a previous post you used "pickup" as a veiled pejorative, I am assume as a shot at Trump supporters (just my guess, could be wrong). Do you know what people do with PU trucks, its called work. These people don't have the option of hauling sheetrock on top of their Prius, what are you going to offer them in this new zero emission world order? You can't yell burn it all down without a plan to replace it or no one is gonna listen.

It is the rich countries that do the damage.

Pickup trucks can be efficient or not. People choose them for different reasons, governments are in a position to push the choice towards the more efficient ones. See Maxi UK

It is the rich countries that do the damage.

Pickup trucks can be efficient or not. People choose them for different reasons, governments are in a position to push the choice towards the more efficient ones. See Maxi UK

True, I see how tradesman in the EU use small vans and trailers to get the job done and it makes a lot of sense. For that matter it would be nice to get some if those turbo diesel cars and SUV's over here.

While the turbo diesels have been popular as they are both quick and fuel efficient they are now going out of fashion at high speed as they are killing lots of people with particulates, NOx etc.

With European fuel prices a big petrol SUV is only for the very well off or people that do no miles. This means that the turbo diesels are an enabler for a lot of inappropriate vehicles.

Yes I rented a Nissan something or other 6speed TD SUV in Germany and I found it very inappropriate and a blast on the Autobahn.

Only if you want people to listen to your facts and info. It may be an unpleasant reality but humans aren't logical when making trust decisions. And so because most people myself included don't have the training or experience to really dig into the data to make thier own conclusions it comes down to trust. In that arena hysteria and predictions that didn't pan out have hurt the acceptance of climate change as a problem the average person needs to concern themselves with.

Counterproduction:

deliberate spite towards the children we pretend to love.

mass starvation at a biblical level.

Half or perhaps two thirds of humans will die.

a crime against humanity greater than anything the world has ever seen.

keep telling lies and killing your kids.

catastrophic failure of our life support system.

widespread destruction of the planet

it is cheaper for us all to die

catastrophic failure of the human life support.

the deniers who simply want to kill off the next generation.

Are you willing to kill your kids?

This is imminent.

I don't think I have ever been fanatical about anything.

And so because most people myself included don't have the training or experience to really dig into the data to make thier own conclusions it comes down to trust.

Exactly. So who do you believe? The politicians who want to be re-elected (and who are pandering to corporations worried about their profits) or the scientists? Academic scientists (the ones doing the bulk of the climate change work) get paid the same no matter what they say. If I publish studies showing that climate change is happening, I get paid "x" dollars. If I publish a study showing that climate change is not happening, I get paid the same.

Likewise, if scientists say (don't build in area x, it will increase flooding, as they did in Houston), they get paid "x" dollars. If they say, (have at it, build where you want), they get paid the same. But, if the scientists are ignored, who pays the price? Hint: the homeowners and federal government does.

Back
Top Bottom