Next trip: Cayman, Cozumel, or Roatan

Where to go?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tungsten80

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm getting the go ahead from the wife to do a dedicated solo scuba trip. I've narrowed it down to Cayman, Cozumel, or Roatan. Specifically, was looking at Compass Point in Grand Cayman on East Side, Coco View in Roatan, and Aldora in Coz (done this in the past with very positive opinion).

Trip late April. Can only do Monday-Sunday. I will be traveling alone. Adv. cert with nitrox. Approx. 140 dives. Been to Coz, Rivera Maya, Hawaii, Cali, Bahamas, DR, St. Marteen, Jamaica, NC, plus multiple fresh water locales.

My goal is to get lots of quality diving in. Don't get a chance to do this frequently b/c of work and family schedule. I've come to the conclusion that I like structure, some variety, and prefer larger, abundant sea life. As far as topside, the focus for me is to dive and relax. I don't really care about tons of entertainment or the nightlife scene. Drift vs. regular isn't a big consideration either way.

I really liked Cozumel and know I would like it again, but part of me wants to branch out and see what is out there. It is probably cheapest overall trip of the 3. Would probably go here with family in the future. Cayman is more expensive overall (almost double), but easiest flight and I've heard great things about diving in general (seems little cayman and cayman brac could be a bit better diving based on posts, but not sure how hard the flight is to get there or if it is worth the extra leg). Cocoview sounds like diving camp with pretty good diving. It would not be somewhere I would go with my family in all likelihood. Worry a bit about bugs and variety. Worst flight of 3. Food onsite. Probably site with possibility of most dives.

Any opinions would be highly valued as I keep going back and forth. Thoughts?

It's a nice problem to have :)
Personally, I'd probably go to Cozumel, but as you have stated, you have been there and you will likely go back. So, between the two remaining choices and given the flight challenges, I'd probably lean toward Grand Cayman. However, I don't think I'd limit myself to the East Side. If you are going to GC and will likely not return for a long time or ever, you want to make sure you get to dive some of the best North wall dive sites, as well as some of the best West bay wall sites. If you can find your own accommodations through VRBO or Airbnb or an inexpensive west bay hotel, I'd recommend you do your diving with Brad at Cayman University divers. Very personalized service, very high speed boat, all the best sites. I'd do boat dives with him and supplement with inexpensive shore dives off of lighthouse point and in front of Macabucca's (adjacent tot he Turtle Farm). Below is the link to Cayman U Divers and Brad will likely be able to point you in the direction of relatively inexpensive accommodations, as well.
Grand Cayman Scuba Diving with Cayman U Divers

Hey @Tungsten80

I've been to all 3 and voted for Grand Cayman, Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers. You say you want to get in lots of quality diving. You can do 4 or 5 (with night dives Monday and Thursday) hour plus dives per day with OF. Dive times generally dictated by gas/NDL rather than time. Ocean Frontiers is the best land based operator I've used. Their complete valet service makes all your diving effortless. They dive the North, East, and South sides, dependent on conditions. I've also dived North wall and West side, both are great. In general, there's more variety diving from the East, in both terrain and sea life. As example, not infrequently see Reef Sharks, some sites, like Scuba Bowl, very common. There are considerably fewer operators and divers from East End.

I'm also a big Aldora fan and love diving Cozumel with them. I'm with you though, I am a proponent of variety and diversity and often choose a location I have not visited before.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

Good diving, Craig

I voted for Grand Cayman, too; but I really think that the easy, half-hour ($110 USD) roundtrip flight to the sister islands is worth it, especially for Little Cayman which has the best diving.; but Cayman Brac has excellent diving and it is a little cheaper.

The overall trip to either of the sister islands would likely be cheaper than Compass Point on Grand Cayman if you stay at the Little Cayman Beach Resort or the Cayman Brac Beach Resort because you will accommodations, dives, and all meals (the food is buffet but really good). But Grand Cayman offers some great diving too and there are more topside activities available there.

Keep in mind that if you are traveling solo you are likely to be charged a "single diver supplement" no matter where you travel. The Anthony's Key Resort on Roatan is offering a "buy one/get one" promotion - and that is the only option I can think of to avoid paying a single supplement.

But since your goals are to get lots of quality diving, large abundant sea life, and relaxation - why don't you consider a Turks and Caicos liveaboard trip? You will get 4 to 5 dives per day and are likely to see sharks on almost every dive, along with plenty of turtles, spotted eagle rays, eels, and other sea life. The best T&C diving is from a liveaboard IMO, both the Aggressor and the Explorer run good T&C trips departing from Provo.

Liveaboards aren't cheap, but they are all-inclusive and include accommodations, diving, and meals and sometimes you can find a special promotion to help with the cost. When you figure out the average cost per dive they are often cheaper than land-based operations because you can do so many dives, including night dives almost every night at no extra charge.

Liveaboards also require a hefty single supplement if you want a cabin to yourself, but they will pair you with a same-gender roommate to reduce the expense with your approval. My understanding is that if you book the cheaper, double rate and they don't sell out the boat, the captain usually lets you to have the cabin to yourself at no extra charge - but I can't guarantee that.

There are other great liveaboards working in the Caribbean, the Cayman Aggressor dives the best sites off of all 3 islands; and there are liveaboard options in Belize, Saba, and the Bahamas.

Have a great trip wherever you decide to go!

It would not be somewhere I would go with my family in all likelihood. Worry a bit about bugs and variety. Worst flight of 3. Food onsite. Probably site with possibility of most dives.

If you normally don't get to go solo, and in the future will likely take family with you, then on this one solo trip, going somewhere it wouldn't be practical to take family later seems wise. CocoView Resort seems to best fit that profile of the ones you named. Live-aboard would also be a great choice.

Richard.

If you normally don't get to go solo, and in the future will likely take family with you, then on this one solo trip, going somewhere it wouldn't be practical to take family later seems wise. CocoView Resort seems to best fit that profile of the ones you named. Live-aboard would also be a great choice. Richard.

That's true, CocoView isn't really a family place and neither are the Cayman Sister Islands of Little and Brac.

Compass Point is on the East End of Grand Cayman and pretty far from the topside attractions. And liveaboards are great places for divers but not for non-diving travel companions.

I agree that for this trip is would be best to pick an option that you are unlikely to do with the family. You could always find options on Cozumel or Grand Cayman that work for both diving and family activities in the future.

CocoView would probably net you the most dives. I'm sure you looked, but Little Cayman would have great options for you as well as a solo diver and would probably be a place you wouldn't return with your family on a later trip.

Thanks for all the great replies. I really appreciate the insight and I have always found this forum to give phenomenal advice.

Out of curiosity I looked into Little Cayman Beach Resort and it is booked for the week I was interested. Cayman Brac ended up being more expensive than compass point.

Unfortunately, a liveaboard won't work for me right now b/c I can't do the Saturday before. I actually looked into a few around the Caribbean as I really enjoyed the one I went on. I have a weird and inflexible work schedule. Would love to do another one in the future and I see the Turks and Caicos one come up frequently as a solid choice.

Decisions....Decisions. Although the end result regardless lands me in the pot at the end of the rainbow.

Thanks for all the great replies. I really appreciate the insight and I have always found this forum to give phenomenal advice.

Out of curiosity I looked into Little Cayman Beach Resort and it is booked for the week I was interested. Cayman Brac ended up being more expensive than compass point...

Little Cayman Beach Resort books up fast; you usually have to make reservations well in advance unless you get lucky and find a cancellation.

I'm not surprised that CBBR is more expensive than Compass Point but it includes a full meal plan, 3 meals per day and some of the plans include 3 drinks per night. (If you don't want the drinks they will probably adjust the price).

I think that Compass Point offers breakfast but not a meal plan, or am I wrong about that? Or is it the single supplement that is making CBBR so expensive? The Cayman Brac Beach Resort vacation package below is based on double occupancy.

But I am sure that any of the options you are looking at will be great, have fun!

THE CLEARLY CAYMAN PACKAGE

Valid for travel Jan. 1 – Dec. 16 2017
7 Nights Accommodations
FAP Meal Plan
Three Drinks Nightly
17 Boat Dives
Airport Ground Transfers
Free Welcome Rum Punch
Manager’s Cocktail Reception
$1725 USD

KathyV,

Thanks for the post. I saw the advertised price for CBBR, but I think the single supplement is hurting me quite a bit. When I go to book it looks like this.

Map Pkg 2016 2443.02
Fap 2016 PKG 2581.20

Of course, based on cayman food prices the difference isn't quite as much compared to to compass point comparing breakfast only vs. 3 full meals. Is Cayman brac that much better than the East side of the Grand Cayman?

I could do Cozumel for about $1900 including lodging, diving, flights, and food and $2,400 for Cocoview all in. Don't mind spending more if it would be better (although my wife might have something to say). I do see that the majority of people suggest the Cayman trip.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom