Niagara Drift Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a shop in Buffalo that sets up drift dives in July? I will be in the area this year, so I'm thinking about getting a few dives in.

Drift dives in Niagara? That sounds cool.
Where is the entry point, what is there to see?

I don't have all the details. I stopped at a handful of shops in Buffalo, and one of them regularly scheduled drift dives there for a very low cost. I wish I could remember which one. I'll get the address I stayed at for a week and search google maps until I find a few possibilities.

I will not be far from Buffalo July 17th through 24th.

DiP & Dive, and there is also a shop in Niagara Falls (forget the name).

As to entry - some actually do it form a boat, but we have shore access via the boat ramps in Tonawanda (Isle View), and exit at Gratwick Park. Used to do night drifts to see huge muskie.

As to the "sights" - east river is a "junk dive" - bottles, and whatever gets tossed into the river (have found fishing poles, guns, etc.). Almost got hit by a tumbling couch one time. On another dive, my buddy almost ended up stuck in a barrel. The bass are big and friendly. They love it if you drag your find (kicks up crayfish). Down by the "Little Island" there is a bunch of onle steel wheel axle sets from the days when there was one of the world's largest sawmills (ship building for commerce on the Great Lakes).

West river has an interesting section where they had trenched to install a crude oil line frome Canada. You can drop in the trench and in the slack water, watch the world go by.

Ask other questions if you have them....

DiP & Dive, and there is also a shop in Niagara Falls (forget the name). I'll post the shops later.

As to entry - some actually do it form a boat, but we have shore access via the boat ramps in Tonawanda (Isle View), and exit at Gratwick Park. Used to do night drifts to see huge muskie.

As to the "sights" - east river is a "junk dive" - bottles, and whatever gets tossed into the river (have found fishing poles, guns, etc.). Almost got hit by a tumbling couch one time. On another dive, my buddy almost ended up stuck in a barrel. The bass are big and friendly. They love it if you drag your find (kicks up crayfish). Down by the "Little Island" there is a bunch of onle steel wheel axle sets from the days when there was one of the world's largest sawmills (ship building for commerce on the Great Lakes).

West river has an interesting section where they had trenched to install a crude oil line frome Canada. You can drop in the trench and in the slack water, watch the world go by.

Ask other questions if you have them....

I'll post the shops later...

niagara scuba center
2105 military road
niagara falls, ny 14304
(716) 283-3483
jim clayton
jim@niagarascuba.com

dip 'n dive
500 niagara falls blvd
buffalo, ny 14223
(716) 837-3483
Dip 'N Dive Online Scuba Diving Store: Scuba Diving Equipment Packages, Scuba Diving Gears: Dive Masks, Scuba Fins, Scuba Diving Computer, Scuba Watch - Online Scuba Gear - Training Store Buffalo, NY, New York

depending on what is going on im my schedule, pm me, and maybe we can do something as an option too....

Thanks. I ended up going to the shop in Niagara as well. A very friendly shop that was more than happy to answer questions. I believe I went to most shops in the area. Trouble is my mind isn't great at remembering names, so thanks for the shop name. That may be the one I was thinking of.

niagara scuba center
2105 military road
niagara falls, ny 14304
(716) 283-3483
jim clayton
jim@niagarascuba.com

dip 'n dive
500 niagara falls blvd
buffalo, ny 14223
(716) 837-3483
Dip 'N Dive Online Scuba Diving Store: Scuba Diving Equipment Packages, Scuba Diving Gears: Dive Masks, Scuba Fins, Scuba Diving Computer, Scuba Watch - Online Scuba Gear - Training Store Buffalo, NY, New York

depending on what is going on im my schedule, pm me, and maybe we can do something as an option too....

Sounds good. You wouldn't happen to know the hours of these shops would you?

Thanks.

D'nD:

M, 10-8
Tu, 10-6
We, 10-8
Th, 10-6
Fr, 10-6
Sa, 10-5
su - closed

not sure on the other, e-mail them.....

Back
Top Bottom