Niagara River Drift Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me know.... weekends can be hard, but I'll be there if I can!!!!

While not a problem this time of year, when you guys dive east river do you find boat traffic a problem?

We mainly dive west river, never cared having that much traffic around me.

We would join you but my wife likes to wait until its about 50 degees. Spending an hour in the river 45 or less she tends to loose feeling in her fingers.

fppf:
While not a problem this time of year, when you guys dive east river do you find boat traffic a problem?

We mainly dive west river, never cared having that much traffic around me.

We would join you but my wife likes to wait until its about 50 degees. Spending an hour in the river 45 or less she tends to loose feeling in her fingers.

There is usually a lot of traffic there. Usually no problems though.

As usual, I'd prefer a Sunday, but as long as I don't have duty weekend, a Saturday is doable as well. :14:

fppf raises an interesting point - According to NOAA the surface temps at the eastern edge of Lake Erie are about 36F.

Something to keep in mind when planning the time.

Weather this week is sunny and mild - the mild is forecast to continue into the weekend - but looks like a chance of rain.

Now that being said - My time is pretty flexible during the week too.

Good to go! :sunny

Yeah, drifts in the Niagara take a little planing, or you end up walking or need a chase car.

We have 1 exit point and 2 entree points we use on west river. One gives us about a 40-60 minute run time while the other gives us 100-140 minute run time. We also use bottom features to key off times to see how fast we are going. Flow rates of the river are very dynamic depending on winds, water levels, and what the power plants are doing. Night river drifts are a lot of fun, they open the gates up and the power plants and drop the river level over a foot at dusk. This makes you really fly.

Sunday works best for me too. But not next Sunday. We're going to the southern tier to visit my mom. I don't get to see her much anymore.

I'm gonna wait for it to warm up a little!! bbbrrrrrr..

Back
Top Bottom